Precisely Enterworks

View Only
  • 1.  Calling Another System's APIs From Enable

Posted 12-01-2020 12:59
    Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting data from other systems' APIs from within Enable?

For our scenario, in Enable, we have defined SKUs that are variants of a configurable product.  We also have a pricing engine that has APIs which can accept a configurable product, its set of attribute values, and a customer outlet and return the valid price for the combination.  So what we want to do is for our users to be able to call the pricing engine from Enable for the SKUs and customer outlet they are working with and return the valid price for the combination.  We are hoping to avoid the users jumping out of Enable and using some other application just to get pricing.

We aren't really sure how to approach this, so we were wondering if others have experience calling out to another system from Enable to get data?  Could this be accomplished through an EPX Workflow maybe?  We are open to any ideas.

Thanks!
    Josh

------------------------------
    Joshua Swett | Applications Engineer
    Steelcase, Inc | 2696251984

• 2.  RE: Calling Another System's APIs From Enable

Posted 12-04-2020 17:13

Josh,

This is one area that I am also looking for answers. I will not be able to help but in the discussions with title `Creating a custom HTML page?` I am trying to figure out how can I create a custom HTML page where I can write my own implementation. My idea is to call the external services in this custom HTML page. May be you can try this approach. I am stuck at finding the right folders for creating the HTML files. Other way I am thinking of  is to implement external page on your site and use that URL to add it to the dashboard in enable. Your link can be used on the site directly as well as on the dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Vamsi Krishna Karamsetty
    Shutterfly, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Calling Another System's APIs From Enable

Posted 12-16-2020 12:56
    Thanks for the thoughts!  We actually had a similar idea at one point, and so I will follow your thread to see where you end up going with it.

Joshua Swett | Applications Engineer
    Steelcase, Inc | 2696251984

• 4.  RE: Calling Another System's APIs From Enable

Employee
    Posted 12-06-2020 23:34
    Josh,

If the external API is accessible via Java, then there are several options for integrating it into the EnterWorks platform:

1. Repository Trigger - if it's necessary to have the API invoked when a repository record is changed (and the results of that call be completed before the save of the repository record is deemed completed, then defining/updating an event trigger on the repository would be appropriate.
    2. Scheduled Import/Export pre/post-processing block - if the external API call needs to be made in association with an import or export, a pre-/post-processing block can be implemented and configured.
    3. EPX Activity - if the invocation of the external API is associated with a repository record undergoing workflow, or requires initiation by a user (e.g., Send to Workflow) for a specific record, defining a custom Callout BIC that invokes the API would be appropriate.

It may be possible to provide examples of accessing AWS S3 and Rabbit MQ from a Callout BIC (both of which are configurable activities that are part of the Services Framework).

-Brian

Brian Zupke | Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Winshuttle North America | 9099009179