MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-20-2019 05:27
    Edited by Hannah Merridale 11-29-2019 04:41
    *** This has now been sorted and I have won my appeal hurrah! Thank you all for reaching out***

Hi all

I have never used MapInfo Pro so I know next to nothing about it so please be kind!

Basically I am trying to sort out transport for my stepdaughter to school and the company involved have measured the distance from our house to the school and they state they are using mapinfo to do so. I wondered if someone could tell me does this measure distance between two areas as the crow flies? Is it like google where you can map out a walking distance and calculate that route accurately?

Google maps states that we live 3 miles away from the school, according to the company involved map info states 2.896 miles. When I accurately calculated the measurements of the recommended walking distance via google maps it came up as 3.06 miles. Basically the company won't allow us the transport now as they claim we live under 3 miles walking distance away but google maps says we over.

I have seen there is a free trial to download but I don't know what I am doing if I am perfectly honest but I am fighting for my ASD child's rights here so willing to do anything I can! Can anyone tell me if the free trial download is available for Mac or is it just Windows? Also will the free trial help me achieve what I want to know or is there some kind soul out there who is willing to help me out with the calculations please?

------------------------------
    Hannah
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-20-2019 07:22
    Hi Hannah,

It might be worth finding out what the transport company is using as the exact start and end points for their measurement.  For example, are they measuring from the school gates to your driveway?  Could they provide you with a diagram of their results?  You could then compare this with Google.  

MapInfo could help you to check the measurements, but you would need access to the right data - preferably the same data that the Transport company is using (e.g. road centrelines, walking paths).  Using MapInfo and the right data you can make whatever measurements you like.

What about asking the local council for help?  Would they be able to carry out the measurement for you?  Failing that, what about driving the route yourself if possible, or walking it and checking the results on a Garmin - or is there a phone app that could be used?

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-20-2019 07:41
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. Unfortunately it is the local council who my appeal is against so they can't help however I have just asked them to send me a diagram of the results and the start and end points for comparison - thank you for the suggestion. At least then I will know how they measured.

Driving the route is 3.1 miles however they don't take driving distance into account, only walking. They claim it is 2.986 miles and I make it 3.06 from my house to the school reception.

Hannah Merridale

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-20-2019 08:11
    Hannah,

hi, I've worked for over 20 years with school distance measurements at Local Gov using MapInfo, distance calculators and data.

Please contact me directly 

nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

and I'll see if I can help.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-22-2019 05:16
    Hi Hannah
    The measurement is usually from the school gates (the drop off point).
    The sort of difference that may make a big difference, alas!​

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-22-2019 05:18
    Yes quite! If it were door to door then there would be no issue but we are only talking a couple of metres difference unfortunately

Hannah Merridale

• 7.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-23-2019 04:45
    Hello Hannah,

Your first step actually is to look at the policy for measurement from t​he authority. That will tell you if it is Home / School gate or Home/School Door or even just straight line. I don't think getting a trial of MI will help in this case as you need the roads and paths layer the council are using and that is not available to the public without paying. There is some good free data you can use but it is not the same so there will be a dispute over accuracy.

Once you have that information you can then decide to appeal. The ombudsman says that every student must be treated the same so even if they are using out of date data - as long as they are the same then they are happy.

The final appeal is normally to walk the distance with a wheel - but you should do that with the Local authority rather than get one on your own otherwise there will be disputes over accuracy etc.

Your actual best chance is to prove that a part of the route they have identified is unsafe to walk. Again the council will have a policy for that. The other option is if you child has special educational needs - a statement - to say they need transport.

I hope some of that might help

Martin Hodder
    Managing Consultant
    Higher Mapping Solutions (OEM)
    KNEBWORTH

• 8.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-21-2019 15:50
    Measurements in MapInfo will be approximate only, for example any hills/slopes will add walking distance which MapInfo won't take into account using the standard measurement tool.

You could purchase a Measuring Wheel ($20-$30 on ebay) and walk the route, see what that says? If it's more than 3 miles, then you could get a licensed surveyor to make the measurement and provide the result, this might cost a bit but hopefully you could find one willing to help your cause for a small fee.

Good luck! Let us know how you go.

Timothy Mashford
    Melbourne, Australia

• 9.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-21-2019 16:10
    Thank you - I said I would go out an get a measuring wheel! I used to love those at school. I know its petty but that probably is my best bet!

Hannah Merridale

• 10.  RE: MapInfo Pro measuring help!

Posted 11-21-2019 17:21
    It's not petty, it's just making the process fair and evidence-based!

Timothy Mashford
    Melbourne, Australia