MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Marketplace Preview

Employee
    Posted 05-30-2019 07:34

Say hello to our new digital ecosystem and stay excited!

The launch of MapInfo Marketplace opens opportunities to make things bigger, better and faster taking your productivity to the next level.  It serves as a repository embedded into MapInfo Pro making it much easier to find and download Apps with a Pitney Bowes cloud account.

In the 'preview' release of the Marketplace we'll be sharing plug-ins developed by both our staff and our community of users, tried and true enhancements that benefit everyone. A recent series of posts on the community site are unpacking how some of these specific tools are being used.

Every user is free to browse the Product listings in the Marketplace, but you need to have a Pitney Bowes account to download any of the featured products.  If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to do so when you try opening the Marketplace. Clicking on the Marketplace icon will point you to the login page as below.

The Marketplace is primarily designed to improve the customer experience by making it easier to discover and maintain MapInfo Pro add-ins and tools. By design, it will allow us to be more responsive to changing market demands. It should also serve to roll-out new features, tools and fixes to the users quickly and effectively thereby reducing the development/delivery timelines considerably.

Note that all existing add-ins and tools would continue to be free. Going forward, we also plan to introduce new MapInfo Pro apps that would extend the core functionality of MapInfo Pro. 

As mentioned, this release has the Marketplace as a preview. We're progressing toward it being a distribution platform to obtain additional apps, datasets and add-ins from the GIS community using MapInfo Pro.

Accessing the MapInfo Marketplace

The MapInfo Marketplace is auto-loaded when MapInfo Pro is launched in the HOME ribbon > Tools button group.

In case for some reason the Marketplace icon does not come up in the home ribbon, it can manually be loaded.

Go to the Home tab > Click on Tools Extension to launch the Tools Manager Window.

Under the Registered tab in the Tools Manager window, double-click on MapInfo Marketplace to load the add-in.

The MapInfo Marketplace button should now appear on the HOME tab under the Tools button group.

It may take a while the first time it runs as it checks for MapInfo Marketplace updates and performs any necessary upgrades.

Using the MapInfo Marketplace

Double click on the MapInfo Marketplace and the web page will be launched with all the products that can be downloaded for free.

Clicking on a product gives you all the product details. These details include the publisher, product type, Author, Version, a short description of what the tool does and a few screenshots about it.

On each product page, there is an "Install Product" button. Click on this button to download, extract and install the product.

The installed product will appear in the HOME Tab > Tool Manager window > Running Tab.

Downloaded Products are not Auto-loaded in MapInfo Pro which means closing MapInfo Pro will not launch the downloaded products on startup again.

However, when a product is installed, it is registered so if you wish to run the tool again navigate to the Tool Manager > Registered tab and double-click the downloaded product (HOME Tab > Tool Extensions button > Registered Tab).

Click on the home tab in the Marketplace to go back to the feature listing.

The Marketplace is an exciting place to find various tools to explore and easily download.

The official release is scheduled with MapInfo Pro 2019, which is coming this Fall.

------------------------------
    Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Marketplace Preview

Employee
    Posted 06-12-2019 20:42
      |   view attached

Looks pretty cool Shweta, I like the large individual icons layout on the home screen and search functionality which allows users to search for any specific tools - this should come in handy as the list grows.

It works quite seamlessly in that I was not prompted to login to it (I assume that this is because I am already signed in to the Pitney Bowes Cloud services account (Under PRO > Services)

P.S. - I didn't know Bob Fortin was that old! lol (see attached pic) :)

Dave Kuo
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Australia

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Marketplace Preview

Employee
    Posted 06-18-2019 00:10
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing this out. This is an issue with how IE formats strings into dates in it's javascript implementation. It has been fixed now. 

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Noida

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Marketplace Preview

Posted 06-19-2019 09:14
    Having seen this demoed at the recent UK User group meeting, I wanted to ask how the Marketplace is using and storing the tools.

It has been described as being a 1-click download and install, but I wanted to ask, where does this store the tools, and how can I share them with colleagues? Particularly when they are tools that we could and should all be using.

Is it like the way we share Layouts? If so, can you share multiple tools or would this be on an individual basis?

At the moment, the default/inbuilt tools are stored here: %Userprofile%\AppData\Local\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700\Tools 

I've also got various tools that I've downloaded from the community downloads located in a specific MapInfo Tools folder in the root of C:, as this makes it easier to find, send and share with others. If I've loaded tools that I've got located here, would the Marketplace pick this up as being installed and running, does it duplicate the tool? When updates occur, where does it then save the updated tool if located outside of the default folder as mentioned above?

James King
    Essex County Council
    Chelmsford

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Marketplace Preview

Employee
    Posted 06-20-2019 00:37
    Hi James, 

The tools are downloaded from the Marketplace at "%Userprofile%\AppData\Local\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700\Tools" in their own separate folder. Since they have the MBXs in each of their own folder, they will have to be shared individually.

You still have the ability to download the ZIP File directly from the site (http://mapinfomarketplace.pitneybowes.com ),so you can get the ZIP file and store them in the folder of your choice. However you are in charge of registering and loading the tool yourself, just like you do from the Community Downloads page. 

It is also recommended for people to get the tool from the Marketplace. That way you can ensure to get the latest correct version with no custom modifications.

For sharing purposes also, people should be encouraged to use the Marketplace. It is always a good idea to point the Users to the Marketplace for the latest version of the tool than sharing it yourself. 

When you try installing the tool again from the Marketplace you will be prompted with a message "The  selected product has already been installed", so there will not be any duplications if the tool is installed in the default location. 
    If you have them stored in a non-default location, the updated tools will be downloaded in the default location which means you will have them in 2 places.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Shweta Shukla
    Noida