Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-25-2019 04:00
    Hello,

I would like to know how to save client-side imported layers in a project SSA (because I import a layer from my computer (with the button "Local files (csv, xls, geojson, kml)"), I save my project and I refresh my project. The imported layer is not saved). 

Thnaks you,

Augustin Boyer

------------------------------
    Augustin Boyer
    GEO RM (Pitney Bowes partner)
    Jaunay-Marigny

• 2.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Employee
    Posted 04-29-2019 01:14

Hello Augustin,

I did a quick test by adding an Excel table (.xls) via  Add layer > Local files and subsequently saved the map project. Upon refreshing the browser window, the layer no longer appears. 

I have verified this behaviour with our Engineering team and they confirmed that it is working as designed in that the 'Local files' function does not allow the added files to be saved to a map project. 

Please let me know if you would like me to follow up with our Product Management team to determine whether this could be considered as an enhancement request?

Regards,  
    Dave

Dave Kuo
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Australia

• 3.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-29-2019 03:16
    Hello Mr Kuo,

Indeed, it should be a good enhancement. For example, my client need to import their own files to be geolocalized. But for their next needs, they need to save their file in the project because they cannot manipulate their local files one shot.

Thanks you,

Augustin

Augustin Boyer
    GEO RM
    Jaunay-Marigny

• 4.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-29-2019 05:50
    Hi Augustin,

Thank you for your question.
    At the moment it is possible to save layers/maps added with Add Spectrum Spatial Layer into a Map Project in SSA. It is not possible to save a Local file added from format csv/xls/geojson/kml into a Map Project in SSA. 
    This request has already been added in the SSA roadmap. I cannot tell you in which release right now. The roadmap might change. I may suggest to add this idea in the SSA ideas page. 
    Here below what it is possible to save in a Map Project as an user and as an admin.

Enabled End users are able to load and view Map Projects. They can now also save a map project for re-use. When saving a project from SSA the following are all saved in the project:
    •Layers browsed and added from Spectrum
    •Thematic maps they have created in SSA
    •Query layers they have created in SSA
    •The layer order (users can now re-order layer groups)
    •The visibility toggle of each layer
    •The map zoom and location at the time of save
    •A thumbnail image is auto generated at the map center and saved with the project

Admins can create new projects and can edit existing projects that they have created. Editing can be launched either from the home page or clicking the "Project Settings" menu which is on both the options panel, and in the overflow menu at the top of the legend.

Admins can:
    •Browse and add base maps
    •Browse and add business
    •Choose what functionality to enable by picking a Functionality Profile
    •Choose the find nearest configuration
    •Specify the pan-able extents and map projection visually
    •Choose which roles can view the project
    •After saving the project and closing the dialog, further changes can be made and saved in SSA as an end-user

Monica Di Martino
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 5.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-29-2019 09:52
    Permanently loading data from an imported file(s) of any type is a useful idea and has been looked at and even scoped a bit. However, since this came up in the community I am wondering if everyone is thinking about the same things.
    Here's at least a few different interpretations.

1- A true data import. In this case, the data would be uploaded and possibly transformed into a spatial data set on the Spectrum server which is not necessarily the Analyst application server. For example, an Excel file might be converted to  Native TAB, an entry created in our repository and made accessible to the correct set of users.  There are decisions that need to be made about naming (maybe not the name of the original file?), storage location and type  (admin set up, TAB, database, geopackage), repository location (admin set up) and access (at least the user uploading but who else?)
    2- A " little file, just for me" import - Within reason, the data could be  uploaded and stored directly in the project as some form of GeoJson or XML or other style.  Since it literally would be embedded in the project, it would not be available to any other project and the size and lack of any spatial index would be a limiting performance factor.

Also does the data expire, it is expected to be updated (merged) or just deleted and replaced?
    I'd be interested in what people are thinking about when they ask for this. 

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 6.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-29-2019 10:10
    Edited by Monica Di Martino 04-29-2019 10:12
    Hi Eric,

great post and so important question! It depends on the type of the user. SSA Admin/End users ask for both, SSA other users ask for number 2. Many times in Business market I mean in Telco, Retail and Insurance when the user is also an admin he needs to use SSA and SSM also for preparing, upload and geocoding or link/bind data because many times he not a GIS or a spatial data expert.
    I got this feedback from my business partners and customers using SSA and SSM (also without SSA) .

a) SSA Admins/Business End users and SSM Admin/Business users asked many times for  number 1. Having the possibility to upload data to Spectrum Spatial using SSM and SSA. The data can come from a csv/excel file/tab/shape file. They need to  upload only, or upload  and geocoding or upload and binding. Yes, they need to set name, friendlyname, folder location and users permissions. The file need also to be saved in some folder on the server. 
    b) SSA end users ask for 2 - just to save a local file into the SSA map project. Many times this is a file with coordinates or spatial geographical objects, They want also to add a tab/shape file from local and save it into the SSA map project - like it would be a work space to work on but not seen from other users.

Looking forward for feedback!

Monica Di Martino
    EMEA Presales Engineer

• 7.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-29-2019 20:57
    @Eric Blasenheim - this has just come up for discussion today after demonstrating to some other SSA users the Heat and Cluster Mapping displays available when using imported data. While it was a great tool for visualising particular data-sets, the lack of ability to save the local files and associated visualisation to either a custom or existing project to share with other users was considered to be a major drawback.

The two options you provided for import, admin option to create permanent Spectrum layer and end-user 'just for me', would both have beneficial application and we can see the 'just for me' case as a good way for end-user teams to trial new data while they work on display, updates and data ownership ​before requesting incorporation of the data into main corporate pool that is the repository. We would be very supportive of development down this line.

William Dean
    Cairns Regional Council

• 8.  RE: Save client-side imported layer in SSA project

Posted 04-30-2019 19:06
    Thanks.

I am thinking that the admin piece probably  belongs in Spatial Manager. Not only does that take care of the ambiguity of where the data is going (to a place accessible to spectrum) but easily leaves open a bunch of options for the short and near term. 
    For example, as a kind of ETL (extract, transform, load) we could have the admin choose the destination which could be a file like a .tab file but also a database or potentially any datasource for which we support writing .  Also geopackage is becoming a more common format for transfer including off-line data.  That may make things more straightforward.
    The admin could import, style (create a layer) and then assign to projects or maps as appropriate. 
    So I think this is where it should belong.
    Somewhat related to this is also the idea of better supporting data from PB. I am an advocate of PB data coming with named resources ready to go. We do this with StreetPro but it could be relevant to other data as well.  The UI would just import the named tables, layers....

The "just for me" case is different but also useful.  As I said, the simple case could be to store it in some format (geojson, GML) inside the project or in a resource referenced by the project. This could get unwieldy if too big.  Perhaps in that case, the user import could create a "admin taks" who would then complete the import in Spatial Manager or use a service API but under the aegis and therefore agreement of the admin.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY