MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-08-2019 07:13
    I have a table of polygons and lines (but mostly polygons). I can generate a thematic map of just the polygons but I can't generate a thematic map of just the lines.  When I do, it presents the styling options as if the lines are polygons. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've had to move the lines into a new table for now to get it work. 

(Using v17.0.3)

------------------------------
    Emma Daniel
    CDR Group
    HOPE VALLEY United Kingdom

• 2.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-08-2019 19:34
    Hi @Emma Daniel - are you selecting the "Line" type thematic templates in Step 1 or 3 when creating the thematic?  Even when doing this I'm seeing both polygons & lines styled.

From your description I understand you are looking to apply the thematic styles to only the line objects. If so you could create a query that selected just lines & apply the thematic to the query (not the entire table). As the query is temporary it will be associated with the base layer & refreshed when you next open the workspace. Here's an Knowledge Article that shows how to select out the lines.

Look forward to hearing how you go.

Thanks, Ashley​

Ashley Crane
    Regional Director, Software Support
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-09-2019 04:38
    Hi Ashley, thanks for your reply. Yes I'm using the  Region templates for the polygons and the Line templates for the lines. The polygons and lines are in two separate columns so that I run my thematic by choosing either the polygon or line column from the dropdown. I thought this would fix the issue as it stopped MapInfo needing to sort the data however it didn't. 

I have also tried creating a thematic from a query but again this has given the same result. The only way I can generate a line thematic is by putting all my lines into a completely separate table. Is this a bug with v17.0.3 perhaps?

Emma Daniel
    CDR Group

• 4.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-11-2019 21:59
    Hi @Emma Daniel - thanks for the update. The behaviour I'm seeing is different to your description, here's what I do:

1. Start with a table that has both polygons & lines
    2. Use SQL Select to select the line + polyline objects and put then into a query "qry_lines"​ table

3. Add qry_Lines as a separate layer in my Map window
    4. Apply the Thematic to the layer qry_Lines
    5. Only objects in qry_Lines are shaded, in the screenshot below you can see the query layer on the left with thematic. The polygons not shaded by the thematic are in the underlying layer - 

Does this set of steps match what you are following?

You mentioned separate fields for polygon/lines - the default structure of a table in MapInfo Pro is one object per row (note: there is an exception to this rule with collection objects) so typically a column wouldn't be used to select polygon/line object types. Would it be possible for you to share screenshots or sample data so we could better understand the scenario & advise how to proceed?

Thanks, Ashley

Ashley Crane
    Pitney Bowes

• 5.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-12-2019 09:27
    Hi Ashley, thanks your screenshot shows the exact problem that I'm having.  If you look to the right, your legend shows that your thematic is treating your lines as if they were polygons and applying a fill style to them instead of a line style. I've attached an image of my line thematic showing what the line styling should look like when MapInfo is working correctly. As you can see, the lines have different zigzags, dashes etc. I can only achieve this by putting my lines into a separate table. When I run a query, I still get the polygon styling as you have in your post.

Emma Daniel
    CDR Group

• 6.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-13-2019 00:56
    Hi @Emma Daniel​ - thanks for the clarification + screenshot. Yes I get the same behaviour, unsure why this is. I will create a new Case with the Software Support team on your behalf so we can deep dive on this issue & provide an explanation. Thanks, Ashley

Ashley Crane
    Pitney Bowes

• 7.  RE: Thematic map problem generating line styles

Posted 08-15-2019 22:11
    Quick update: Confirming that the predominant object type in the base table will dictate the thematic template used.

So for example, if the base table has 20 polygons and 19 lines, the thematic template applied will be region (polygons). Creating a query table doesn't change the determination - thematic template is decided from the base table. So the workaround that Emma has mentioned (putting lines into a separate table) is one way to force the Line style thematic template to be applied.

Ashley Crane
    Pitney Bowes