Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

• 1.  Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 03-29-2018 00:46

I seem to have made a discovery and would like user/admin feedback here..

Basically we have experienced that when loading a map with points and either leaving default style or style override they are impossible to select within SSA, even after making the Callout Search Width 10 and even 20 pixels.

We have however found that if you run a thematic over the same point layer and reload that the points are easily selectable, and we were then able to reduce the Callout Search Width to 10 pixels.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Tony Jordan

• 2.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 04-02-2018 19:14

Hi Tony,

What is the default symbol? I have noticed that some symbols such as pins are not centred over the point and can be misleading when you try and click on them.

As a general rule-of-thumb I always suggest people either use a style override or a theme on all layers anyway as you are less prone to legend issues.

Duri

• 3.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 04-02-2018 21:50

Hi Duri,

The default symbol is a simple round point, 'MapInfo Cartographic' (B2) size 10. I understand what you were saying about the stick-pins though, we had similar experience with the little dog symbol 'MapInfo Miscellaneous' (B8), you have to click on their front feet to select that symbol style!

As mentioned in my original post, it appears with point layers that you need to apply a 'thematic' to make points selectable, even if it is a simple one style point across all features, you still need to make it a thematic!

We haven't any legend issues, just the selection issue on points.

Regards,

Tony

• 4.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 04-10-2018 21:57

We have a similar problem with the selectability of point features. The most troublesome layer is our Survey Marks, even with a theme applied and Callout Search Width set to 20px it is tricky with a mouse to select and display. On tablets its downright maddening. It wasn't always this way and other point layers e.g. photo points don't display the same behaviour.

Sorry its not an answer, but I can sympathise.

Cheers,

Will

• 5.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 04-11-2018 03:02

Hi Tony - have you logged this with support? If you have please can you send me the log number and I will get the guys to test it for you.

Regards

Andy

• 6.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 04-11-2018 19:54

Hi Andy,

Yes. See below..

Case Number: 17256949

Regards,

Tony Jordan

• 7.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 06-12-2018 01:40

I have the same issue. I cannot click on a default round point.

I can select it with a region based query but that is not a reasonable approach.

Has there been progress on this issue?

• 8.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 06-12-2018 01:59

Hi Rebecca,

I have been consulting with Rohit on this, I sent a "point" based dataset to Rohit at PB to test, this morning he claims there is no issue in selecting our points as well as PB's own point styled datasets even when using the default 10 pixel "call-out search width".. Not sure if it matters, I noticed Rohit was testing in a Long/Lat datum/projection, while our system is GDA94 MGA94 Zone 54, which I have just informed him of. I have no idea why 3x Council's in this conversation have the issue yet its fine in the PB environment!?

• 9.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 06-12-2018 02:05

Oh! I kept clicking in that general area and then randomly hit it square on and it did come up!

Not particularly user friendly.

I have my callout search width set to 1px to reduce the excessive returns from things that are close to what I want returns for. I'll try changing it to something bigger

• 10.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 06-12-2018 02:08

It is a file I have to already export a newly named copy of for it to function anyway (a different error I was getting) so I thought I'd add a small buffer to the script to make it a region instead of a point. Again this is another work around I really shouldn't need to do.

I assume the big issue is that we have to hit it dead one, and can't click and drag select. Maybe a better fix would be a tool that does a click and drag select or a polygon select that doesn't create a shape?

• 11.  RE: Why are 'Points' Impossible to Select?

Posted 06-12-2018 02:10

OK so I changed the callout on JUST the points layer to 30px and it is much easier to click it. Have you tried that?