MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Posted 07-05-2018 01:29
      |   view attached

I have recieved a .dwg file from our engineering department. I have used the FME to translate this file to a MapInfo .tab file which was successful.

I open the table in Mapinfo and the projection is completely out! The Survey points (red star) were collected in town (Cadastre of shire circled in yellow).

See Attachment

I am zoomed out and as you can see the Shire is no where near where the points have appeared.

My projection is MGA Zone 55 (GDA 94).

Have I missed something?

• 2.  RE: I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Employee
    Posted 07-05-2018 02:53

Would be helpful if you could give us an idea of how the coordinates should look for your area and how the look for the DWG data.

It's typical either a question of the translated data not having the coordinate system, you expect or that the data is using different unit (cm instead of m).

You could try to convert the DWM file to MIF/MID and have a look a t the coordinates in this file. Maybe that will give you a clue. If not try to share a few of the coordinates here.

• 3.  RE: I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Posted 07-06-2018 12:15

Is there a projection associated with the DWG at all? Or are these just drawing (non-earth) co-ordinates? What is the distance involved between these 2 sites?

• 4.  RE: I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Posted 07-13-2018 01:52

Hi @Peter Horsbøll Møller?  and @John Ievers? . Thank you both for your help! I believe that there were no coordinates attached to the file and have requested the original data. As I have not had alot of experience with DWG or CAD this has been very helpful! Thanks again

• 5.  RE: I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Posted 07-24-2018 10:18

Hi @Jemima Bargery?, I've had this issue in Israel as well. We have a local projection that is based on meters. If you have a local projection that is meter/km based, try converting the DWG to a TAB and "forcing" it to use the meter/km based projection. That may bring it back to your area.

• 6.  RE: I'm having a projection issue and am unsure what to do to fix it!

Posted 07-25-2018 21:14

Hi @Jemima Bargery? I know its a bit expensive to purchase AutoCAD however depending on the volume of drawings you have to deal with it may be worth purchasing a copy so that you can clean up drawings, reproject them and check the assets have been assigned to the correct layers in the drawing etc yourself. 

For projection issues you can also load a copy of your cadastre to AutoCAD and tie known points from you infrastructure drawing to the cadastre and force the correct location into the drawing that way. Its a little bit of a fiddly process but does work. Alternatively you may have a draftsman in house who can do this for you and teach you a few things along the way.

Another thing to check is "junk" so to speak in the drawing. If you use the zoom to extents function in AuotCAD you will zoom out to the limits of the drawing and objects may be found that should have been removed using the purge and clean (?) commands. Like I said I haven't had to do this for a while but I was fortunate to have had a very good engineering draftsman teach me a few tricks.

Hope this is of help to you also!