Data360 Govern

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Posted 04-28-2021 05:43

Dear all,

We have configured a business asset with three levels (parent/child):

Level 1: Domain

Level 2: Concept

Level 3: Term

A concept can have the same name, when it is linked to different domains.

Example:

- Concept "Client" in Domain "Private Banking"

- Concept "Client" in Domain "Institutional Banking"

When we go to the level 3 (Term), we need to choose the parent, but we cannot distinguish the two concepts "Client".

I tried to add fields on the asset that are populated automatically with the parent, but that fields don't show in the "available field token" pull-down (screen shot attached).

Am I doing anything wrong or is there perhaps a supported work around that I can use? Ideally, I would like to have the "Asset Path" automatically at disposal in the "available field token" pull-down.

Many thanks for your feedback!

Steve Selleslagh  

Attached files

Asset Path.png

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Employee
    Posted 04-28-2021 09:54

Hi Steve,

The asset path and field from relationship types do not currently display within the available field token. I have submitted an enhancement request on your behalf.

If you have another field that may be leveraged as a unique identifier you may utilize that as a temporary workaround ( such as the definition field from your attached screenshot )

Matthew Kennedy

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Posted 04-28-2021 23:12

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your reply and creating the enhancement request.  Please keep me posted of the prioritization/delivery of this feature, as this would mean a nice improvement regarding user ergonomics.

Best regards,

Steve Selleslagh

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Posted 02-08-2022 09:57

Hi Matthew,

It has been 9 months, so the baby should be due any minute now? :)

Thanks for your update!

Steve

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Employee
    Posted 02-09-2022 06:46

Hi Steve,

Based on your description, the team is looking to see the entire path when selecting a parent asset item for a new child asset item. A couple releases back, a product enhancement was created for the dropdown on child asset items to display the asset path. 

As a result, when creating a hierarchical structure of asset types and navigate to create a new asset item for any child asset in the structure, you will see the asset path in the dropdown for the "owner / parent" selection. This is slightly different than what the team was initially looking for, though should satisfy the problem nonetheless. 

As an example, if I created 3 asset types in a hierarchy as follows : 

level 1 = system / application 

level 2 = table 

level 3 = field / column 

Let's say I setup two level 1 system / application items - one named "twilight" and one named "daylight", then setup four level 2 table items - two named "customer" ( one for each application above ) and two named "vendor" ( one for each application above ). When I go to select the owner / parent, the team will be able to visibly see the "twilight" and "daylight" labeling. 

If the team then sets up a "name" filed for the "twilight" customer table and another "name" field for the "twilight" vendor table ( though does not want to setup "name" fields for the "daylight" tables ), the way the system used to work, the owner / parent would only show one level up. As a result you would see the four entries below and would not be able to tell which went with "twilight" and which went with "daylight" : 

"customer" / "customer" / "vendor" / "vendor" 

Since the aforementioned fix was implemented, we changed the owner / parent dropdown so it now looks like the four entries below. The team is able to both easily see and choose the correct value : 

"daylight > customer" / "twilight > customer" / "daylight > vendor" / "twilight > vendor" 

Matthew Kennedy 

• 6.  RE: Is it possible to have the "asset path" of a business asset as "available field token"?

Posted 02-09-2022 07:22

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply!  Indeed, the product enhancement covered a huge part of the scope.  Thanks for that functionality.

The problem that we are still experiencing is when we are (multi)selecting child values in a list type.  There we only see the "child part" of the value and not the complete path.  It would be great to have the same functionality there.

As illustration, I included a screen shot of the "edit", "configuration" and the "consultation" screen.

Is there any way to configure this on our side or does this need a product development at your side?

Best regard,

Steve Selleslagh

Attached files

Consult.PNG
    Edit.PNG
    Config.PNG