MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Editing of maps in Layout windows...

Posted 11-08-2021 10:33
    Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to MapInfo, so my problem could be either a software issue or, more likely, a user-related problem.

I have a workspace with a main Mapper window. For reporting purpose, I have created 8 or 9 different layouts that have an inserted version of the main map window. For each layout the map has been tweaked, some layers removed, labels added, or thematic layers created. Layout windows have been unchecked, so that they don't clutter my worksapce, but are still available and re-appear when I check then again from the Explorer Window tab. A few days later, as I want to come back and modify my layouts, which are used to generate figure for reports, I find myself unable to edits some of the layouts. All my layouts appears in the Layouts list and I am able to open the layout again. However, for some of the layout, even when I activate the map in the layout, there is no corresponding active maps that appears in the Explorer Map browser list.  Therefore I cannot turn on of off layers, change the symbols or change the order of the layer. Is there a way to access the layers list and edits a map that is included in an active layout, but does not have and active map window anymore? Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Regards,
    Simon

------------------------------
    Simon Gagne
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Editing of maps in Layout windows...

Employee
    Posted 11-10-2021 09:24
    Hi Simon

I just tried to see if I could reproduce your scenario and maybe figure out if there is something that could mislead you to think you can't access the maps.

I haven't used the option to hide windows that much yet.
    I created a new workspace with four layouts each with two maps. I turned of the visibility of three of the layouts, save my workspace, closed it and reopened it.

At first I noticed that the Layer List with my maps only showed two map windows and wondered why.
    Then I realized that the other maps weren't visible because the layout windows were hidden.

When I made one of my hidden layout visible again, the maps also appeared in the Layer List.
    One thing that can mislead you is the fact that the Explorer window can have multiple scrollbars.
    As you can see in the image below, I have an outer scrollbar for the entire Explorer window, but also an inner scrollbar for my Layer List.

The inner scrollbar doesn't appear unless you move the mouse into the area covered by the Layer List.

Can you see you missing Maps in the list of Maps in the Windows Lists section of the Explorer window?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Editing of maps in Layout windows...

Posted 11-11-2021 09:37
    Hello Peter,

thank you very much for looking into my issue. I have noticed that the Layer List with my maps only showed the map windows that were opened. Also,  usually once I make a layout windows visible the map comes back again in the Layer List, 80 - 90 % of the time. However, for some layout Windows, even when it is open and visible, the map does not show up in the layer list. That really troubled me as I had edits to do on those maps in the layout window before exporting it as an image for the report. Short of ideas, I tried cloning the layout and by chance the map then re-appeared in the layer list. So, that seem to be my work-around now, is to clone the layer. 

I also noticed that the Maps that are not showing in layer list do appear in the List of Maps in the Windows Lists section of the Explorer window, but they are greyed out. Once the layout has been cloned and that the map re-appears in the Layer List, it becomes black again in the List of Maps in the Windows Lists section. 

So far, this is what I am noticing. 

Regards,
    Simon

Simon Gagne
    Knowledge Community Shared Account