MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Pro v2021.1 crashing on opening workspace

Posted 05-17-2022 07:41
    Hello everyone,

We have a workspace which opens several layers - it's old but it works for us.  It opens fine in v15.0 and v2019.3, but when I try in v2021.1 MapInfo crashes after 6 seconds, without any message or warning.  The layers are all vector, with raster (including seamless tables) and OS MasterMap base maps all stored locally - no WMS.

Does anyone have any idea why it might be doing this, and any suggestions for solutions?

Thanks,
    Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Pro v2021.1 crashing on opening workspace

Employee
    Posted 05-17-2022 08:08
    One thing to try out is to turn of loading of printer settings from workspaces. You can control this via Options, Startup.

If that doesn't help, you can try to insert Note statements in a couple of places in the workspace file using a text editor. Create a copy of the workspace and modify the copy.

These Note statements are only to help identify where in the workspace MapInfo Pro is crashing. The could look as simple as this:
    Note "Workspace line 10"

There are some more details in this post: Analyzing Workspace Load Time. In hat example, it's suggested to use Print. You can replace that with Note to make sure you see these results.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Pro v2021.1 crashing on opening workspace

Posted 05-17-2022 09:52
    Thanks Peter, but it turned out to be the settings under Options > MapInfo Pro Raster > Preferences > Raster Formats - I needed to disable MapInfo raster handlers - on the Native and GDAL tabs (see attached images).  I remember this was recommended for translucent raster display problems a while ago, and so it has solved issues I was also having with that. 

I thought I'd already changed these preferences to match my v2019 but either I hadn't or the settings reverted - I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks
    Jane

Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Pro v2021.1 crashing on opening workspace

Employee
    Posted 05-19-2022 03:29
    Hello Jane,

We made number of improvements in MapInfo 2021.1 on how transparency is handled for Raster files through raster handler, so chances are that the translucency issue that you were facing might be fixed. So now, disabling the formats through Raster preference should not be required.

If the formats that you have disabled in Raster preference are causing workspace to crash in MapInfo 2021.1 then please reach out to support ​and we can analyze the issue further.

Thanks
    Anshul​

Anshul Goel

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Pro v2021.1 crashing on opening workspace

Posted 06-01-2022 01:28
    My 2019 layout workspaces wouldn't open in 2021 until I removed the raster settings as described in the last post

GIS Services
    Gladstone Area Water Board
    GLADSTONE CENTRAL QLD