MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  layout size and output

Posted 10-02-2019 22:13

Hello,

I am trying to make some custom layouts based on the templates already in the software eg Smart title text block.

I only make map outputs for A4 or A3 size reports but I note the template sizes are C size (which is larger than what I need). As a result a lot of the text is too small when displayed at A4. What would be the best way to go about this. Should I use the existing templates but change the page set up to A4 and drag and resize  everything to fit this new size or do I need to bother at all with changing the page set up. I.e Should I just resize the text in the C size layout then save to a custom size in the SAVE WINDOW option?

Thanks

Jodi Turnbull

Archaeologist

Ochre Imprints Pty Ltd

331 Johnston Street, Abbotsford VIC 3067

PO Box 280, Clifton Hill VIC 3068

ph: (03) 9417 6094    fax: (03) 9417 6095  

M: 0447 019255  

In office: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

logo final

• 2.  RE: layout size and output

Employee
    Posted 10-07-2019 01:20

Hi Jodi, 

Both your ways sound good but as you say you make outputs for A4 or A3 size only, a good way to do it is to change it in the page set up and save it as a new template for future use. 

I shall get back to you if I find a better and easier way of doing it. 

Regards,
    Shweta 

------------------------------
    Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 3.  RE: layout size and output

Employee
    Posted 10-08-2019 04:30

I'd recommend either adjusting an existing template and saving this under a new name or creating a new template from scratch.

If you use the Save Window As to resize the output, the scale in your output will not match anymore is you have a Scale text in your title block.

Typically, you would create a template for say A4 and then change the paper size for this to A3, move the title block and resize the map frame and save this as under a new template name.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 4.  RE: layout size and output

Posted 10-11-2019 06:57
    ​Hi Peter / Jodi,

Wondering if someone could help me.

I am having trouble with the Legend in the Layout Window. When I insert the legend into the Layout Window which has a Map, I also insert a new Frame which I can use to place the Legend key into. However when I select the Legend I can move it but it changes the order and it is difficult to move it so it lines up correctly. Also I want to change the fonts of all layers but when I try to edit the Legend it only allows me to edit the individual layers so this is a v time consuming process. Therefore is there a quicker way of doing this?

Thanks

Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 5.  RE: layout size and output

Posted 10-13-2019 18:49
    legend for one layer not showing correectlyHi Sherman. I have the same font issue and have not found a quicker way to do this. Re- the layer display. Do you mean when it presents the text and icons in a way that is trying to adjust to the size of your legend box?- see my example of a legend doing weird things. I have this happen often with legends that have many rows and I agree sometimes it can be really tricky to get it to size properly, particularly if there is not a lot of room. I just keep dragging the handles and re-adjusting it until it finally fits- which always works in the end but it can take some weird handle dragging to get it right. I hope this helps.
    Jodi

Jodi Turnbull
    Archaeologist
    Ochre Imprints
    Abbotsford

• 6.  RE: layout size and output

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2019 00:59

Hello Richard,

Regarding moving and lining up the legend frames, have you tried to hold down the 'Shift' key on the keyboard and then click on each one to select multiple legend frames at once? That way you could then select and move them all at once without changing the order.

If you are finding the alignment of frames within the Layout canvas a bit tricky, you could consider using the 'Add Horizontal/Vertical Guideline' along with the 'Snap to Grid' options under the LAYOUT > Alignment dropdown menu (highlighted in screenshot below) which should make this task much easier.

Regarding updating the fonts for all of your layers in the legends, you could consider changing the default legend frame fonts via PRO > Options > Legend Window > click on the respective font buttons for 'Title Pattern' and 'Style Name Pattern' as highlighted in the screenshot below to modify the font size/styles.

*Note - The legend frames would need to be regenerated in the layout to take on the new styling. Good thing is that the styling should be automatically applied to every layer's legend entry in this case.

Hope that I have understood your requirements correctly. Please give it a try and let me know if it helps!

Dave Kuo
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes

• 7.  RE: layout size and output

Posted 10-15-2019 11:41
    Edited by Richard Sherman 10-16-2019 09:21

Thanks Dave - that's helpful. I have managed to luckily highlight all of the layers within the legend frame.

R

Richard Sherman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account