MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-25-2020 15:41
    Hello,

Is there anyway to convert .tab files to .shp files while maintaining the line styles and symbology?

I use the universal translator quite often to convert the data to .shp files but it doesn't keep the styles.

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
    Rachel Taylor
    GIS Analyst

• 2.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-25-2020 16:05
    Hi @Rachel Taylor great question!​ I think this is a limitation of the SHP file format not a shortcoming of the Universal Translator, maybe others can confirm? Thanks, Ashley

Ashley Crane
    Regional Director, Software Support
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-25-2020 16:26
    Ok, then. Is there any format that I can translate to that would keep the styles and symbology?

Rachel Taylor
    GIS Analyst

• 4.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-25-2020 19:01
    Hi Rachel,

Quite often there are multiple ways to achieve the same goal. Can you share a summary of what you are trying to do - assume you have MapInfo Pro and need to move some spatial data to another application? With some further context there might be suggestions from the User Community on other options.

Thanks, Ashley

Ashley Crane
    Regional Director, Software Support
    Pitney Bowes

• 5.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-26-2020 11:16
    I was sent some road data in a .kmz format that I converted to .tab in order to view in MapInfo Pro. I have customized the road lines and colors to represent county roads versus private driveways in addition to if the road is something the county gets credited mileage for. I would like to export this data to a .shp file in order for the county to view in a different program while maintaining the differences in road colors and styles that I have customized.

Rachel Taylor
    GIS Analyst

• 6.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-26-2020 11:56
    Edited by Nicholas Evanish 02-26-2020 11:57
    @Rachel Taylor,

I have needed to do this overtime; however, there is no way to convert the "style" attributes from .TAB into .SHP format.  The person(s) on the other end receiving the .SHP format (which was a requirement) had to live with the fact that there was no styles passed through the conversion.

I did supply them with data attributes (text) that they could reference in the .SHP file (that convert without issue) and then they'd have to write something on their end to modify the styles of objects accordingly within ESRI (or whatever GIS software they are using to open & modify the .SHP file)

Nicholas Evanish
    Senior Programmer Analyst

​​

• 7.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-26-2020 12:34

Okay, thanks for responses everyone. 

Another question from the flip side of this. Someone has sent me a .KMZ file with specific line styles and symbology. I used the Universal Data Import tool in MapInfo Pro. I check the box to "Use color information from dataset" but it doesn't keep the styles or colors. Do you all have any recommendations  for converting from .kmz to .tab while maintaining the line styles and symbology of the .kmz file?

Rachel Taylor
    GIS Analyst

• 8.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Employee
    Posted 02-27-2020 03:22
      |   view attached
    Hi Rachel, 

In the Parameters window, expand the schema attributes. You can check the additional attributes to expose e.g. fill color etc. and see if it sufficiently works for you. 

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 9.  RE: Exporting to SHP Files

Posted 02-27-2020 17:21
    @Rachel Taylor @Ashley Crane @Shweta Shukla

It would be great if in upcoming releases MapInfo could support a style standard (eg SLD style) within the Geopackage format. I know that QGIS supports these style descriptions within the Geopackage database (I believe there is a table called 'layer_styles' that is used to read/write stylesheets). My guess is that ESRI might also read those styles, but I am not an ArcGIS user.

But I don't think that helps you in this case Rachel!
    ​​​

Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra