MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

• 1.  Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-20-2018 17:56
      |   view attached

Do you wish you could use more line styles in the layout window? We are looking for input about which line styles are most important to you.

If there are specific line styles that you need, or styles you don’t need, please let us know. Please reply with the style column letter / row number combination that is shown in the line style dialog. You can access the map version of the dialog to see all of the line styles from Spatial > Style > Line Style. Then open the Style dropdown.

See Attachment

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 2.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-23-2018 05:56

Rows 1-17 contain all the lines I have ever used and probably will use.

Ad van O.

• 3.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-23-2018 19:00

?I would like to see exactly the same line styles (and colours) for layout use as used in the map window.

And I would like to see the layout inset scale bar box stay filled with a white background.

At present my layouts refuse to keep the scale bar box background filled, or any other box for that matter (eg text boxes) - I am still using Version 16 at present.

• 4.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-24-2018 01:45

I agree to the comment of Peter Lefel: "I would like to see exactly the same line styles (and colours) for layout use as used in the map window."

• 5.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Employee
    Posted 09-24-2018 02:56

@Peter Lefel? and @Helmut Hoppe?, does this mean that you from time to time are using all of the many different line styles?

We are trying to understand if there are some of the line styles that are more important than others. We were basically wondering if we could solve say 80% of the cases by supporting the first x number of line styles.

The end goal is to support all.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Employee
    Posted 09-24-2018 03:00

@Peter Lefel? as for the scale bar, the floating layout scalebar is supposed to be transparent all the time. We have however seen a number of cases where it on screen seems to have white back ground but mostly when printed it will be transparent.

I'd currently recommend added a white rectangle behind the scalebar to keep the white back ground.

If you insert the scalebar using the Map Adornment (MAP, Add to Map, Scalebar), you can specify a back ground style, either transparent or full colored.

• 7.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-24-2018 18:08

Hello Peter Horsboll Moller,

I am using many different lines styles to depict various data on Planning Scheme maps and Infrastructure Plans. Note I said maps - not graphics - whole of Shire (28000 sq kms) A0 maps at 1:330000 scale. Total count 34 x A0 maps.

In some instances, I am manually creating a legend in the layout due to the fact that the PDF writer (does not matter which flavor of PDF writer I use) does not treat the symbology in the auto generated legend the same way that it depicts the map data?, basically the auto generated legend does not look like the map data in the PDF. This causes some angst amongst the target map users. The manually created legend does, but because of the limitation on the type and number of line styles available in the layout window, my workaround legend is built in a separate map window and placed in the layout with another frame. 

In regards to the layout scale bar, due to the complexity of the data shown on the various maps, the transparent layout scale bar can be hidden by the amount of data on the map, so I use the layout box to create what I thought was a white background, so that the scale bar is highlighted. I will now stop attempting to change the properties of the scale bar box to white.

I have already instigated the workaround you mentioned - "recommend added a white rectangle behind the scalebar to keep the white back ground."

Thanks

Peter

• 8.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-25-2018 05:28

Can't understand why you would only support some and not all linestyles?

• 9.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-25-2018 09:24

The layout (Layout Designer, not the classic Layout window) uses different technology for drawing than the map does. The map (and the classic Layout) are Win32 based and use GDI/GDI+ for rendering. The Layout is WPF based and it has a completely different way of rendering. So unfortunately we cannot easily provide support for all of the original map line styles.

That's why we are asking for your input to determine if you use only a subset of the line styles or if you do need each and every style.

Ideally we would support all styles. However, some of the more complex ones (especially from rows 20+) are trickier to support.

• 10.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-25-2018 09:33

Regarding the legend quality... We have been working on improving the appearance of the legend samples. The first version of legend designer and legend frames in the layout designer were created by generating raster versions of the style samples. Over time we have made some improvements such as:

• drawing TrueType symbols as TrueType (not rasterized)
    • minimizing the anti-aliasing of the raster style swatches to produce crisper, less blurry results

Related to these style changes, we are also looking at improving the quality of the legend swatches (for the styles that we can draw in the layout window). This has not happened yet. It is related to this new style work. So that should cut down (or hopefully) eliminate the need to manually create your own legends.

But these legend changes are related to the upcoming layout style work. So it would be good to know which styles you do or do NOT need.

• 11.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 09-25-2018 09:36

Regarding the scalebar background issue... We are aware of the issue and have contacted Microsoft. At this point we don't have a solution and it seems to happen intermittently. So it is best to use Peter's suggestion for creating a white rectangle in the background.

• 12.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 10-19-2018 10:41

@Alicia Levesque? Has there been any progress with this issue? Has it moved into development?

Now experiencing this problem as I move more users over to v17. We have standard legend which appears on layouts so I have used line style direct from an old layout workspace. I've now had to create a jpg to insert the image with the correct style as a temporary work around. We are using B2, C7, B14 & D14 to display the various types of Public Rights of Way.

• 13.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 10-19-2018 10:48

James,

Thanks for passing along information regarding the specific styles that you use/need.

We are doing research right now and believe we will be able to support all of the styles in a future release.

Thanks again,

Alicia

• 14.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 06-24-2019 21:25
    I'd just like for the Map Window label lines/anchor lines to match lines I have to draw to label multiple polygons belonging to a single region. When I adjust them to match in MapInfo, they don't match in PDF, which doesn't appear to perfectly match in jpg. The advice about Layouts not using the same code as the Map Windows at least confirms that it is happening for a known reason. The challenge for me is that it challenges our ability to produce specific templates, unless we wish to have 1 suite of 'MapInfo Print' workspaces, and another for 'Jpg Print' workspaces.

------------------------------
    Jason Kroeger
    Spatial Products Lead
    Department of Social Services
    Canberra BC

• 15.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 06-25-2019 09:35
    Hi Jason,

Would you be able to send us examples of these problem areas?  It would be great if you can send actual data. If possible, can you use the Workspace Packager tool to bundle up your WOR, TABs, etc? If you cannot send data, could you at least attach a screenshot of your map(s) and layout(s)?

Thanks,
    Alicia

Alicia Levesque
    Pitney Bowes Software

• 16.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 06-25-2019 21:07
    Edited by Jason Kroeger 06-25-2019 21:13
    Hi Alicia
    The following is a snippit from a Layout window, where Devonport Local Govt. Area is composed of 2 polygons (i.e. 1 browser entry, two polygons). In this instance, a label line can only join to one of the polygons. Therefore I remove that line and replace it with 2 others. For label lines to appear correctly as a jpg, I have to customise the Width to 0.7 points. The result is the next image. While most maps are saved as jpgs, the work and confusion caused for the workaround can be concerning to new users of impacted templates.

As I'm still learning to use the new version, I only just realised how jpg borders have changed to very thick and unsightly. Don't know if there's something I can do to alter this. This wasn't an issue in the 32 bit version (V15.0).

I look forward to your advice.
    MapWindowSnippit

Jpg version

Jason Kroeger
    Spatial Products Lead
    Department of Social Services
    Canberra BC

• 17.  RE: Looking for input regarding line styles in the layout

Posted 06-26-2019 19:24
    Hi Jason,

I've been trying to duplicate your issue, but I have not been successful in doing so.

Here's what I tried:
    • I opened a vector table into a map.
    • I opened a layout and added the map as a frame into the layout.
    • I then did the following in the map frame in the layout:
      • I turned on auto labels for the layer.
      • I dragged a label and set the label line style to simple. Initially I did not change the width, so it was 1 pixel thick.
      • Then I drew 2 lines in the map, to simulate your 2 lines. I put them into my original layer, not the cosmetic layer. I also set these 2 lines to a width of 1 pixel.
    • I then did Save Image of the Layout window to JPEG. I tried various resolutions (same as screen resolution, 300 dpi, 600 dpi and 1000 dpi).
    My lines and label line all appeared to be the same thickness.

Then I tried changing my lines and label line to a width of .7 points. When I used Save Image to JPEG at varied resolutions, my lines still remained the same size.

Then I tried drawing lines in the layout (not in the map frame). That also looked fine.

Which version of MapInfo Pro are you using?

What are you using to view your JPEG image? I'm using Paint. I also tried importing it into PowerPoint.

Is it possible for you to package up your example so I can try your exact scenario?

Thanks,
    Alicia

Shown below is a snippet from one of my JPEG images:

Alicia Levesque
    Pitney Bowes Software