MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Posted 11-14-2021 21:48
      |   view attached

Dear MapInfo Pro Community  

During the transformation of the road data network to the new asset management system found the road segments are not in the correct order. It means chainage lengths are not following sequentially. There are thousands of segments in such a position.  

For instance, as seen in the attached file (yellow highlights length), the road segments arrangement is not next to the end chainage. The line directions are correct related to the road datum points.

To resolve the issue, I have found only a choice to do manually by relocating each road's segment to the correct position. This process is time-consuming and feels not a stylish way to fix the problem.  

I am wondering whether there is a method to fix the problem i.e., make the road segments in the chain of measurement.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.   

------------------------------
    Pradip Bhujel
    Asset Engineer
    Yarriambiack Shire Council
    Warracknabeal, Victoria

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Layout.pdf   72 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Employee
    Posted 11-30-2021 02:05
    Hi Pradip

I'm not sure I quite understand the issue you have.
    Are you saying that the segments must be ordered in the table so that the first segment is number 1, the second number 2, and so on?

With ordered I mean the IDs must come in that order.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Posted 11-30-2021 16:44
      |   view attached
    Hi Peter 

The problem is not in the table. Issues are being noted in the layers or road lines.

The segments do not follow the chronological segment i.e., road segments are randomly in the position of the line.

For instance, The Boolite Donald Road starts from Lawler Road (the line direction is correct) but noticed that segment start and finish are not in order say 0m chainage (datum points) is at the middle of the road, noticed the segment starting from 2260m (see details for the attachment). 

Thank you

Kind regards

Pradip Bhujel   

Pradip Bhujel
    Assets Engineer
    Yarriambiack Shire Council
    Warracknabeal, Victoria

• 4.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Posted 11-30-2021 18:53
    You are talking about a label issue aren't you Pradip?  For example, in the below image you would need to drag the chainage labels to their correct position?

If that is so, you could try adjusting the labelling options on the layer.  Another possibility would be to create start and end point objects for your lines, and label those.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Employee
    Posted 12-01-2021 01:44
    Ah, labels, that might be it, James.

But I still don't quite get it.
    I could understand if there were a couple of labels in the middle for small segments that had been switched.
    But here it's basically the first many segments that seem to have been labelled with the values from the last many segments?

These labels are all automatically positioned, right? Or are they custom labels that have been moved or positioned manually?

The image below does show that the road starts in the middle and then moves to the left if you look at the labels.
    It also shows that on the right there is a second road (I can't tell if it's the same road) in the middle.
    And finally, there is a third set of segments to the far right.

What does the Info tool show if you click on the individual segments?
    Does the value in the Info window match the values shown in the labels?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 6.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Posted 12-01-2021 02:31
    No, I don't quite get it either, Peter.  Perhaps there are duplicate lines interfering with the labelling.  Taking a look at the data, if that could be made available, might help.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 7.  RE: Sets Asset Layers Sequentially

Posted 12-06-2021 11:47
    I have had issues like this where labels were placed manually and then saved to a workspace, and then later rows were deleted from the table. In the workspace file, the manual/custom labels are referred to by Rowid, but as rows are deleted the Rowid in the workspace no longer matches the Rowid in the table. I think running Pack Table and then reopening the workspace has fixed it for me, but it also may work to clear custom labels and then place the labels again.

Sean Loos
    MAPPING SOLUTIONS