MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Gridding LiDAR Bathymetry Data in MapInfo Pro

Posted 01-30-2022 21:20
    MapInfo Pro comes with simple but very powerful LiDAR gridding capabilities. I recently had cause to grid two different LiDAR surveys - to create a Ground surface raster in the first case, and to create a Ground & Bathymetry surface raster in the second. The data covers my hometown - the Central Coast of New South Wales in Australia.

LiDAR has been used to map nearshore bathymetry on the entire NSW coastline and I am also aware that it has been used in WA. The results of the NSW survey are great, with coverage extending to 40 meters depth in places. It is well worth a look.

I have posted two videos of the process which you can find on YouTube and also via the Articles on my website.

In the first video, I download the LAS files and grid the point clouds using MapInfo Pro (Advanced). I then use ProRaster to render the rasters and to make comparisons with the standard raster products (of the same data) that are available for download. The difference is stark.

In the second video, I demonstrate two different approaches to displaying multiple rasters in a rendering algorithm in ProRaster. Then, with sea-level rise in mind, I explore the raster and name the suburbs that are likely to go under the waves first.

You will find short articles describing these two videos here - robertsgeospatial.com.au/articles/

You can find the videos on YouTube here -  Video 1 and Video 2. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe!

In both videos, I use MapInfo Pro 2021 (Advanced) and ProRaster (Scientific). ProRaster is software that I am currently developing and I expect it to be available for release in Q1 of 2022.

Gridding LiDAR data with MapInfo Pro is very simple, but behind the scenes is a powerful gridding engine. It produces very high-quality results and will efficiently tackle datasets of unlimited size. 
    Central Coast LiDAR Terrain and Bathymetry

------------------------------
    Sam Roberts
    Founder, Roberts Geospatial Engineering
    Australia

• 2.  RE: Gridding LiDAR Bathymetry Data in MapInfo Pro

Employee
    Posted 02-22-2022 04:50
    Great walkthrough, Sam.

I wonder if you have any good tips on finding a faulty LAZ file?

I'm trying to grid 280 LAZ files but when clicking the Process button after a short while I get an error:

At first, I thought it was the first file that failed but if I only select the first 3 files, the process finishes without any errors.
    Unfortunately, MapInfo Pro doesn't tell me which file fails, and it doesn't let me continue without the faulty file.

Any ideas besides running this process in batches of say 10 files?

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Gridding LiDAR Bathymetry Data in MapInfo Pro

Posted 02-22-2022 20:50
    Hi Peter,

You could get LASTools from here and run the LASINFO tool that is included. Open a CMD window and do something like "lasinfo *.las" and it will spew out information.

If the gridding stops it is probably failing to open the LAS file, so it might be corrupted or not a real LAS file or something. Unfortunately, it will then terminate the whole operation. This could be improved and so could the error reporting.

Sam Roberts
    Founder, Roberts Geospatial Engineering
    Australia

• 4.  RE: Gridding LiDAR Bathymetry Data in MapInfo Pro

Employee
    Posted 02-23-2022 04:08
    Thanks, Sam.

I got another great piece of advice from my colleagues in Tech Support: Check if some of the files have a size of 0 bytes. That can tell you that the files are empty :-)

Sometimes the solution is that simple.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data