MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 08-21-2018 04:19
      |   view attached

Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer

There are two leisureplexes in the City of Canning - Cannington Leisureplex and Riverton Leisureplex. Both equipped with world class heated swimming pools (by the way they are fitted with geothermal direct heating system – talk about sustainability!) and provides exceptional swimming lessons to kids and adults. City aims to attract as many members as possible to make use of the affordable swimming lessons. In order to do this, the City needs to understand their completion – and best way to do this is through location intelligence.

A swim school competitor map was created in MapInfo Pro v17. An excel spreadsheet was supplied with addresses, and I used the Geocode using server tool to get the location of each. This costed me 150credit of my 2000credit/month allowance.

Efficiencies:

• No need to rely on address database
    • Easy to identify where the address is wrong, and could be easily fixed
    • Minimise errors due to typo, as the address would not be found or be in a very odd location, which again could be easily fixed.
    • Spent no additional amounts to get data outside our jurisdictions

And then I used the Drive Region tool to create distance zones around the leisureplex. The standard PB Geozone server only allows for 3 distance zone, and that meant that I had to have to have two iterations of the same process. The first iteration had 5,10,15km and second had 20,25,30km. The last step was to split the 20km zone with the 5,10,15km to create the donut effect. This costed me 30credits.

Efficiencies:

• Way more realistic then using buffers, and less fiddly  
    • So quick – took 6secs to process the data
    • Ability to append the iterations in one table

Lastly it was about creating a map including labels, styling and embedding the branding (using our existing templates) – and the entire process took less than 30mins – for two maps!

Attachment(s)

pdf
    CLP_Map.pdf   2.85 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Employee
    Posted 08-21-2018 03:39

Thanks for sharing, Nishita.

And thanks for describing the process used as well.

• 3.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 08-30-2018 07:46

Great example of a use case taking advantage of the GeoAPIs for geocoding and generating drivetimes, thanks!

• 4.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 08-31-2018 05:00

Thanks. Both are great tools. I am particularly impressed with geocoding tools as to how accurate it can be. ?Don't have to rely on Google as much now.

• 5.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 10-09-2018 22:13

Well done Nishita on being one of the winners with this fantastic entry! Certainly well deserved!!

• 6.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 10-10-2018 01:43

Thanks @David McDonald? , I am going to try and make the map better with the demographic data as you suggested. I shall send through a copy when its done.

• 7.  RE: Fun Swimming Lessons at Canning this summer - submission for mapping contest

Posted 10-10-2018 01:54

Congrats @Nishita Parmar?, well done!!