Data360 Govern

View Only
  • 1.  Process Diagram

Posted 02-15-2022 12:37

Hi Everyone.

I need help with a Process Diagram.  There must be some tricks that I'm not aware of!

I've created the diagram under Processes.  I have all the components set up in the various required places like Reference Lists, Configuration - Diagram Assets, etc.

I have multiple issues.

1.  Exclusive Gateways and Connector Labels.  The way I would very simply describe it is the yes or no text covers up the decision block's question.  In flowcharts or other tools, the text goes inside the decision box.  Here, it is outside and below the shape.  When I draw lines to connect to the yes or no options, the question gets covered up.

2.  Names in Activity boxes don't fit and I can't expand the boxes.  "Data Warehouse Developer" doesn't fit, for example.  I could abbreviate, but this is for non-technical people so I would prefer to spell the words out. 

3.  Many Connector Label texts are cut off.  The shape of the text is a non-expandable box. 

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Process Diagram

Posted 02-17-2022 08:44

I'm adding to my own post.

I am continuing to attempt to create the Process Diagram and it is extremely frustrating.  Lines redraw themselves, relationship line arrows don't go all the way to the next box, the choice of shapes is extremely limited, there doesn't appear to be a way to add text or include a title or date, and when I save the whole diagram it moves.  Bluntly - this is an extremely unfriendly tool.  As I said in my original post, maybe I'm missing something.  I would be overjoyed if someone could direct me on how to draw the diagram more easily and better.

I have to say that a modeling tool I used 25 years ago did these same things, but that was version 2.8, and it would now be at 10+ if the numbering system hadn't changed.  Surely, if other tools have overcome similar  challenges, this one can and quickly.

Thanks.

• 3.  RE: Process Diagram

Posted 02-21-2022 07:35

Hi Judy. We were also a little disappointed with the provided functionality in this area.

We opted out to just use the govern to document our processes as assets, while providing the actual process diagram as a picture and a link to our dedicated modelling tool. 

Current process diagram functionality seems to us more as workaround, rather that actual dedicated functionality. As while it is claimed to follow BPMN notation, it is more akin to just be inspired by it. And obviously swimlanes are replaced by color coding and there is no visual grouping as well as general readability and control over assets. 
    I do believe that there might be good potential for this functionality, but it needs either significant rework or a more dedicated approach.

• 4.  RE: Process Diagram

Posted 02-23-2022 14:18

Thank you Georgijs!

Your description is excellent and I appreciate the validation of many issues with the diagraming.

I must use it, so I just have to tame my frustration!

Thank you, again!

• 5.  RE: Process Diagram

Employee
    Posted 02-25-2022 11:23

Hi Judy and Georgijs, 

This post appears to be a continuation from : 

Enhancements to Process Diagram

I will respond on the newer post momentarily 

Matthew Kennedy