Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

• 1.  How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-01-2018 14:59

I have one TAB file with polygons. There are 20 users and i want to show only specific polygons to specific users. Can we restrict the map data like that ? And they should be able to edit the attributes.

I am struck at this while preparing sales forecasting kind of application. Help towards this will be very much appreciated.

-Krishna.

• 2.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Employee
    Posted 03-02-2018 00:09

Hi Krishna,

Administrators have the capability of restricting the editing to 'attribute editing' only so that users can only update the attributes and not the geometry.

Using settings tab for the map config in adminconsole, this can be done by setting 'Enable Editing in Tables' to 'Attribute Update Only'.

Selective editing of data residing in a single table is not available but if you can divide the data in multiple tables, then editing privileges can be given to specific users for fulfilling your business requirements.

Regards,

Vishwas

• 3.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-02-2018 00:54

Hi Vishwas, Thanks for the response. I am aware of access control and admin console options. I am just thinking if we can manage this with the help of editing template.

It would be great if we can add this capability in next versions :)

• 4.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Employee
    Posted 03-02-2018 02:02

At database level, assuming you are using for instance SQL Server or PostgreSQL/PostGIS, you might be able to create a trigger that will check if the record being updated resists inside the polygon belonging to the user trying to make the change.

If that's not the case, raise an update error that will get pushed back thru the system.

Not the most elegant solution but probably the safest as it's maintained at the database level.

• 5.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-02-2018 04:37

Hi @Peter Horsbøll Møller? that's true. But i want to restrict the visualization of map itself. So that use will see only map data that has been allocated to him and he will be able to edit the information for the same

• 6.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Employee
    Posted 03-02-2018 05:36
    We did a Proof of Concept where the SSA user name was used to query the database for a specific layer. I guess that’s what you are looking for

• 7.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-02-2018 05:46

That's should be one way of doing it i guess. Will it be possible to share the resources @Peter Horsbøll Møller? . I can check how it can help for my demo setup .

-Krishna

• 8.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-04-2018 15:40

Hi @Krishna Bejawada? 

From what I've read of your requirements? I think you would like to show polygons for specific users and allow editing of those polygons and specific attributes for those users only.

Maybe you should test using SQL views created for those specific users, the SQL views can be added as DB layers in spatial manager (views in SQL server are simply a saved query created as a view this is automatically updated with each request)

There would need to be a view per user, with editing template restricting the attributes shown for the layer. (this would also need to be added to a mapoverlay per user and a replicated mapconfig and restrict by login. when the user logs in they are presented their mapconfig with their mapoverlay and do not see others). The mapoverlay then is what controls the layer that the end user sees. Editing permissions are applied at the layer level.

Hopefully this helps

cheers

• 9.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Employee
    Posted 03-05-2018 07:53

• 10.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-06-2018 00:07

@Peter van Dijk? Thanks, I have used Different Map Configurations for different users with Different Map layers. And Made the PostgreSQL jobs to update the data from one table to another table dynamically for now. I will take up your suggestion and work round how to implement that.

• 11.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-06-2018 00:08

Hey @Peter Horsbøll Møller?  yeah, Was not to succeed finding the user name and link the external data source with restricted permissions. I am continuing my R&D on the same. Looking forward to your Case study which you mentioned :)

• 12.  RE: How to restrict the user to edit/view the map layer and data to a certain extent when the same layer has been accessed by multiple users?

Posted 03-10-2018 16:12

?The visualization can be done using Spectrum Spatial Named Views assuming there is some attribute in the data that you can query on. You cannot do this by assigning permssions alone, as there are no permission on records. Even in a database that would be hard to manage.

In Spectrum Spatial Manager, you can create views on a set of attributes that would result in the correct polygons being displayed. The appropriate group of users would be given access to that view table like any other table.

The trick then is to make each view part of a map and assign that to a map config.

This can be done today via some WebDAV editing. In version 12.2 out at the end of april, this will be a bit easier as you will be able to create and modify layers in Spatial Manager and assign them to a view table instead of the original. If someone wants further information on how to do this right now, I can certainly send the details or include them here.