Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  On Map/Restricted Extents and customizing Zoom Levels

Posted 06-24-2019 10:53
    Hi, I need some guidance on how SSA sets Map Extent and zoom levels. It is confusing how this works, there isn't much documentation in this matter. I only found this topic.
    Recently I have been interested in modifying the zoom levels to fit better to our maps. However SSA doesn't allow it because zoom levels are tied to the Map Extent, and automatically setup accordingly, so each zoom level sets a map scale that is half that of the previous zoom level. So if Zoom level 1 is 1:150000, then zoom level 2 is 1:75000 and so on. Henceforth, I tried modifying the extent in the map project, but seems that SSA doesn't look at the "restricted extent" but at the "map extent" in order to calculate the zoom levels. What should I do if I wanted to enlarge the "map extent"? Should I just load a bigger map? or is there a way to explicitly declare it in SSA config?

This is a concern because our basemaps are fit to the default zoom levels for our area. But what happens if tomorrow we decide to enlarge the area? Would the default zoom levels change as well?

Is this the way to proceed if we wanted to modify the default zoom levels for our maps?

From our point of view, it would be beneficial to be able to customize zoom level sets, so they can be assigned to projects. I know current method of defining zoom levels is probably strongly ingrained in SSA and difficult to change, and it isn't probably in the developer's plan to create this feature anyway.

SSA Version: 2018.2

------------------------------
    Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD

• 2.  RE: On Map/Restricted Extents and customizing Zoom Levels

Posted 06-25-2019 01:12
    Hi Miquel,

You would surely get answers to your queries here. After reading through this post, I want to recommend the following piece of documentation that talks about setting up extents ( just in case you haven't got a chance to see it before ) :

https://support.pb.com/help/analyst/2018.2/user_guide/en/concepts/extents.html?hl=extent

I would be curious to hear back from you!

Nalin Mathur
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 3.  RE: On Map/Restricted Extents and customizing Zoom Levels

Posted 06-25-2019 03:43
    Hi Nalin, thanks for your answer. I think I've already seen these instructions. I know pan-able extents can be modified from the project, and also initial zoom levels etc.. But modifying pan-able extent does not change the position of zoom levels. I assume that by modifying the full extent, zoom levels would change accordingly.. and in order to modify full extent all I need to do is change the map extent? It is not clear in the documentation.

Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD

• 4.  RE: On Map/Restricted Extents and customizing Zoom Levels

Posted 06-25-2019 06:07
    Hi Miquel,

At present, there are no other ways to change the zoom levels. There would be support for more precise zoom levels which will decrease the difference between two successive levels, with the future releases of Spectrum Spatial Analyst. You can post here anytime to know the current status of its availability.

Nalin Mathur
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida