MapInfo Pro Developers User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Posted 09-28-2017 16:04

Previously we used the 'save window as' command to output a layout to a wmf or emf image.

I can't seem to do that in v16. As I missing something or has this changed?

• 2.  RE: Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Employee
    Posted 09-28-2017 15:36

As I recall EMF and WFS were removed when we moved from the classic Layout Window to the new Layout Designer window.

Do you need the "vector" image? Are you bringing the result into another software, for example a Desktop Publishing tool?

• 3.  RE: Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Posted 10-02-2017 04:09

Users save print preview as an emf image to be able view, print at a later date or send to a third party. They are also used for converting the print preview into a PDF using another application, as the users with Runtime don't get the MapInfo PDF printer.

Also It needs to be vector image as the quality of the raster image is not acceptable for some of the clients.

So could the export to emf be reinstated or the MapInfo PDF printer supplied with Runtime, otherwise we will have to request users to purchase another PDF writer such as Bullzip PDF writer and link into that instead.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Employee
    Posted 10-04-2017 03:55

I would recommend using PDFCreator which is a "free PDF Converter Tool", http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator.

EMF/WMF is still supported for Map Windows but not for Layout Windows

• 5.  RE: Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Posted 10-04-2017 05:04

Thanks Peter I'll have a look at that. I assume it can be automated within MapBasic. But it's going to mean more work having to check what PDF driver clients have if we can no longer just export to EMF.

Is there any chance that this can be re-instated?

• 6.  RE: Can you no longer save a window as an emf or wmf image

Employee
    Posted 10-04-2017 05:43

I haven't seen it on any roadmap yet but I'll ask.

You can use these statement to set the printer driver for a window and then print the window to a given file:

Set Window FrontWindow() Printer Name "MapInfo PDF Printer Version 16.0 x64"

PrintWin Window FrontWindow() File "D:\Test.pdf" Overwrite

This is for the standard MapInfo PDF Printer that comes with MapInfo Pro. You would have to specify the specific printer driver to use.