Community Announcements and Information

View Only
  • 1.  Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Community Manager
    Posted 09-27-2018 12:47

Greetings Li360!

We've passed the equinox, and the seasons are starting to change around the globe. The balance has started to shift, and with it, the Summer Mapping contest has come to an end. That means it's finally time to announce the winners!

Six winners were chosen from a combination of judge scores, and popular votes. The top two map makers will receive copies of MapInfo Pro Advanced, in addition to a $250 gift card:

@Fiona Stevens? Temperature Changes

@Nishita Parmar? Canning Swim Facilities

Our other four winners who will receive a $250 gift card are:

@Karl Chastko? Tornadoes and Trailer Parks

@jane budgen? Noosa Tennis Map

@Gurj Dulai? Great British Greenspaces

@Laura d? I Scream for Ice Cream

Honorable Mentions:

@Emma Daniel?'s map on this year's spread of Moor Fires also impressed. Nice job, Emma!

Congratulations to our winners - your prizes will be sent to you soon. All other participants will have their Li360 water bottle shipped soon as well. Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest!

What did you think of the contest? Is there a theme you'd like to see maps created around in the future? Leave your feedback so we can make more contests and see more amazing maps by you, the community.

Sydney Lawton

Community Manager

• 2.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Employee
    Posted 09-27-2018 16:45

Wow! - we saw some fantastic maps in this contest so kudos to everyone who took the time to submit - we greatly appreciate your efforts and applaud your stellar efforts.

I really can't pick a single map as penultimate as they all had strengths and shortcomings....I especially liked Emma's Moor fires Map

In Tech Support, we've seen many maps over the years and really effective maps share some common elements - rather than them, here are 2 links that briefly discuss common elements that great maps have in common:

https://www.gislounge.com/whats-in-a-map/

http://www.wwu.edu/huxley/spatial/tut/what_all_maps_must_have.htm

Again, congratulations to all who participated - you all really impressed us!

• 3.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Employee
    Posted 09-28-2018 06:57

I agree with Dave and Greg: Great work from all the participants!

There were many great maps and great visualisations within these Summer Maps.

If I were do give one tip on making your map stand out, I would say try to use a dark background for your map and then use lighter colors for the themes on the map. This really has a great look and feel and creates a compelling result.

Also with the new Layout window in MapInfo Pro, it is so much easier to include images which can bring new details into your map. We saw some good examples of this in this contest.

My personal favorite was the Tornado and Trailer Park - I really liked the bivariate matrix thematic.

• 4.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Posted 10-01-2018 17:36

All fantastic maps! Thank you for running the comp again this year! Great work everyone :)

• 5.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Posted 10-02-2018 14:16

All these maps are outstanding. I really enjoyed going through them and seeing how people are using Mapinfo technology.

• 6.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Employee
    Posted 10-02-2018 17:17

As I look at these cool maps I'm reminded of the most powerful feature of MapInfo Pro: the people who use it! The problems that have been analyzed and presented here demonstrate the power of GIS to communicate unlike any other medium, and with FACTS (well maybe a little bit of opinion buried in there somewhere, it's invevitable). Hats off to all of the participants! The bar for future contests has been set pretty high, so we hope to see an even larger group of entries next time.

• 7.  RE: Summer '18 Mapping Contest Results are in!

Posted 10-10-2018 01:53

Congrats to the winners! Well done participants!!