MapInfo Pro

• 1.  MapInfo Monday: Most Recent Used Files in the Open dialog

Employee
    Posted 05-31-2021 07:40

A happy #MapInfoMonday to you all!​

I have earlier covered how you can access files from the Most Recent Used list in the Open dropdown. Today, I'll show you another place to quickly find some of the tables, workspaces, or other files that you have recently been using in MapInfo Pro.

The Most Recent Used list in the Open dialog

The Open dialog in MapInfo Pro holds its own list of most recently used files that you can benefit from.

Typically, you use the Open dialog to locate files via the big field in the middle where you can see the files in the current folder. You can use the Folder Shortcuts on the left side of the dialog to quickly switch to a MapInfo Place for Tables, Remote Tables, Workspace, and similar.

If you recently have used the file you are looking for, there is a fair chance that you can locate this file in the File Name list that appears when you click on the arrow at the right side of the File Name field.

When you click on the arrow, a list of recently used files will appear. This list is different from the list you find in the Open dropdown in MapInfo Pro.

Another benefit to this list is that it depends on the current file type. This means that you will see a different list of files when you are opening workspaces compared to opening MapInfo Tables or CSV files. The list also exists in other "File Browser" dialogs in MapInfo Pro such as the Run (MapBasic) Application dialog and similar.

Do you feel you often spend too long locating a dataset you want to use in MapInfo Pro?

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Most Recent Used Files in the Open dialog

Employee
    Posted 06-08-2021 10:47
    Hi Peter,

I use this functionality all the time. The cool think is that it is done by Windows, not Pro. So you can use it any app that has the standard or customized file open dialog.

-Bob

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team