MapInfo Pro

MapInfo Monday: Making your base map grey

• 1.  MapInfo Monday: Making your base map grey

Employee
    Posted 09-21-2020 07:08
    Edited by Peter Møller 09-21-2020 07:10

Happy Monday!

This time we'll look at a small tip on how you can make your business map stand out compared to the base map.

Often base maps are colorful, and sometimes it can be hard to highlight the business data or theme, you are creating on top of such a colorful base map.

In the image below, you can see my orange dots illustrating a footpath but it is using similar colors as my base map so it doesn't stand out that much.

MapInfo Pro will let you tone down your raster-based base map with a single click. Select the base map layer in the Explorer window, go to the Style tab, and click on the Grey Scale button.

This tip will work with most of the raster-based data in MapInfo Pro, raster files, and tables from WMS services, Tile Services, and WMTS services.

Now the base map will be shown using grey colors, and your business data will be easier to spot.

You can also set this via the Adjust Image Styles dialog that you can access via the layer swatch left of the raster layer in the Explorer window. Here you can also adjust the contrast, brightness, and translucency of the raster.

I hope you found this tip useful. If you have any questions, or ideas for next week's #MapInfoMonday tip and trick, use the Comments section below.

#MapInfoMonday is your weekly little tip​ to help you get more from your MapInfo Pro.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------