MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Using the Find Address command

Posted 05-02-2023 06:45

Hi I am getting an error message when trying to use the find address command (for the first time) 
    And in the MI help it states:

What is the purpose of Find Address?

To access a geocoding server to locate a single address. You must have access to a MapMarker or Envinsa 4.0 or later, PB global geocoder, or a Global Geocoder server to accomplish this task. For using the PB Global Geocoder, you must sign up first.
    We only need to search addresses in our area (Local Authority) so can anyone help me understand what the options are to make this command work? Can we use our LLPG data? Which is our data so would be the best option as we would not have to pay for it!
    thanks!

------------------------------
    Kate Calderbank
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Posted 05-02-2023 13:42

Kate,

Don't think you can use the Find Address option you've tried using with your own LLPG data.  Most of my clients who use their LLPG addresses either:

1) Take a data extract out of the LLPG software and create a layer from it within Pro and use the standard find command.
    2) Maybe the LLPG system you use has a 'publish layer' type option built in - some do
    3) Buy and add-on tool which takes a hub update file and uses that within Pro
    4) Uses a database 'view' from within the LLPG software database and then ODBC connects to that so it's a live version of the data

There may well be other ways to use the data but I have clients doing the above. 

HTH

Nick

feel free to email me at  nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk if you want clarification on the above points

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 3.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Posted 05-03-2023 03:47

Thanks Nick. I think you taught me MI when I started this job, probably almost exactly 17 years ago (in Salford GIS)! Thanks for your suggestion - will email you if I decide to try that option.

Kate Calderbank

• 4.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Employee
    Posted 05-03-2023 03:15

Hi Kate

There are a few requirements that need to be met before you can use the Find Address, Geocode using Server, or Drivetime tools in MapInfo Pro. These tools all rely on our services at the backend.

1. You need to create a free account from the Services tab on the Backstage (access it via the Pro tab)
    2. You need to be signed in using your account.
    3. You need to point the services at the Precisely versions of the services. The Pitney Bowes versions have been taken down. The Precisely services typically start with https://api.precisely.com/.... You can check these via Options, Web Services, Geocode, Servers... on the Backstage. There are a bit more details in this post.

4. You need to be running MapInfo Pro v2019.3 Build 49 or v2021.1 Build 33. Check this Security Update Notice.

Alternatively, Nick had some good suggestions in his post.

In the MapInfo Marketplace, you can find a tool called Multi Search Tool that can help you search your data. Read more about this tool in this post: Multi Search Tool.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Posted 05-03-2023 03:48

Thanks Peter - so I am currently on MI v17 so first step is to install more recent version I guess? Then I will try the steps you outline above. Thanks

Kate Calderbank

• 6.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Posted 02-20-2024 05:34

Hi Peter
    I have finally got an up to date version of MapInfo! I have signed in and am trying to use the find address tool.

I have the precisely Global Geocoder set as the server.

But I am getting an error message:

The following error was isseud while attempting to access the server:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

(https://api/precisely.com/geocode/v1/basic)

Could you please assist?

Thanks, Kate

Kate Calderbank

• 7.  RE: Using the Find Address command

Employee
    Posted 02-21-2024 01:32

Hi Kate

I might have to refer you to our support team (support@precisely.com).

But let's try a few things:

1. I tried searching for an address in Denmark as you can see below, and it did get me a result. With the basic geocoder, you will only get to a city or postal level.
    2. I also clicked on the Server Info button on the top right in the Find Address dialog. This resulted in the Geocoding Server Details dialog popping up listing the supporting countries.
    Do you get the error if you try the same? In both cases?
    If you do, reach out to my colleagues in support.
    Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data