MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Updating CSV point layers with new points

Posted 08-11-2022 09:38

Hello all, new user here. 

Recently, I've come up against a hurdle in updating a csv-based point layer.

In my mind, updating a csv-based point layer should be as simple as closing mapinfo, opening the csv in excel, add/delete rows based on requirements, save it, close it, reopen mapinfo pro, and the changes should be reflected on the map.  This has not been my experience, however. 

When I do what I've detailed above, it appears the actual points still match their corresponding lat/long but the labels are on the wrong points, seemingly at random. For instance, just glancing over the points on the west coast, I can see east coast labels, midwest labels, it's all random.

Has anyone else had this issue? What am I missing when it comes to updating my csv list? Thanks in advance.  

------------------------------
    Justin Small
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Updating CSV point layers with new points

Posted 08-12-2022 08:14
    You need to be making your changes in MapInfo, in the tab file now, not in the csv.  Otherwise, you have to import the csv again and create new points, overwriting the old file, then setup your labels all over again.  Labels are tied to rowid's, so removing rows outside of MapInfo will cause that to happen (just like packing a table can do, if you have moved labels from their default position).

Jim

• 3.  RE: Updating CSV point layers with new points

Employee
    Posted 08-12-2022 11:02
    Hi Justin,

You can now open csv files directly using our OGR support which eliminates the need to separately create points.
    If the file is not too large you can edit it directly from Pro.  Changes made outside of Pro would be picked up when you opened the tab file referring to the csv file. In table open dialog choose type of "Vector Files (OGR)". This was added in version 2021.

For large file it is still recommended that you convert the csv to a native table, in which case you would have to go through the process again to pick up external changes.

-Bob

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team