Automate

View Only
  • 1.  Transform Rules – International Semicolon List Separator

Posted 11-10-2022 13:14
    Hi everyone,

I have never been able to perform "complex" Transform Rules which require at least one delimiter. Anything else other than simple arithmetic calculations or single argument formulas return as invalid.

My standard Excel list separator is the semicolon (;) as per the international standard, rather than the comma (,) mainly used in English speaking countries.

I'm attaching one example of the suggested =SUM(A2;B2) which conforms to my Windows and Excel settings. However, if I run it in Winshuttle it always results in error.

Can anyone kindly advise on whether the English comma format is "hardcoded" into Winshuttle?

Kind regards,
    João Cardoso

------------------------------
    João Cardoso | BUSINESS ANALYST
    Infineon Technologies North America Corporation | +351229402463

• 2.  RE: Transform Rules – International Semicolon List Separator

Posted 01-20-2023 06:15
    Just bumping this topic to see if anyone else has had this issue. Currently this feature is unusable for me as even the suggested formula =SUM(A2,B2) doesn't work as described above.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you,
    João Cardoso

• 3.  RE: Transform Rules – International Semicolon List Separator
    Best Answer

Posted 01-20-2023 10:16
    hi João,
    I 'm using WS Studio on two computers. On both  Microsoft Excel is set to follow system separators. On one computer the list separator is set to COMMA, whereas on the other list separator is set to SEMICOLON. (Windows settings, region, additional settings, List separator)
    It looks like WS Studio is following the same settings, since on the first computer the formula with COMMA is validated, on the other one the formula with SEMICOLON is validated. This proves that neither comma nor semicolon is hard coded...
    So maybe you want to check if WS is set to follow system settings ?
    Windows10-WS Studio 20.2.8

jan ketele | release expert
    Xeikon Manufacturing NV | 003234431875

• 4.  RE: Transform Rules – International Semicolon List Separator

Posted 01-20-2023 11:15
    Dear Jan,

Many thanks! Based on your confirmation, I was able to understand the issue.

I reset my Windows Regional format to English (Europe) and managed to get "=SUM(A2,B2)" to work. Switching to Portuguese (Portugal) "=SUM(A2;B2)" also works.

However, in English (Europe) if invert the Decimal Symbol ("." to ",") and the Digit Grouping Symbol ("," to "."), together with replacing the List Separator from "," to ";" – Winshuttle is not able to validate any type of format.

Of course, Excel itself and other applications work fine with this switch. If I were to guess, it seems Winshuttle validates only on Regional Format name instead of the actual values. This poses a problem as lots of machines have some sort of customization (standardized) of values and this invalidates the use of the "Transform" feature.

Best,
    João

• 5.  RE: Transform Rules – International Semicolon List Separator

Posted 02-03-2023 03:55
    Just wanted to leave a message saying I've managed to resolve my issue in case anyone faces it in the future.

If you have Custom Formats in Windows that have been working in other applications but are having trouble having them recognized in Winshuttle, when creating formulas, perform the following:

1. Change your current Regional format to any other Default (e.g. English (Europe), English (United States)) in Windows
    2. Change back to the one you want to customize
    3. Perform customizations via Control Panel's "Change date, time, or number formats"
    4. Restart computer

I now have the exact same customization I did before but am able to perform Transform Rules.

Thank you,
    João Cardoso