MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

• 1.  Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-02-2023 18:25
    i noticed that Select by Attribute is so hard compared to arcgis , why i need to write sql to select by attribute 
    in arcgis you choose which field and when you do that u have all values listed to choose from easily 

second issue where is analysis tools in mapinfo like intersect , buffer and other tools needed which is found in arcgis in arctoolbox 

thanks

------------------------------
    Mah Elay
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-02-2023 20:01
    Mah Elay,

Have you checked this post from Peter about Select by Attribute changes in MapInfo 2021?

Regards,
    Andrei

Andrei Veselov
    Precisely
    Troy NY

• 3.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-02-2023 20:57
    Edited by Mah Elay 01-02-2023 21:09
    Hi 

I already saw that but i didnt notice its that different from the current way of selection , it still rely on sql way of selection
    it is better to update of possible to make it like arcgis where one dialog list the fields and when you select one field , all the values of that field is listed and easily you can choose one value 

Thanks for your reply

Mah Elay

• 4.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Employee
    Posted 01-03-2023 02:16
    Hi

It does seem as if we are talking about two different ways to query your data.
    Select by Attribute does exactly what you want. It allows you to select specific values from list for a given column and find all records with that value.

Check out this video:

Isn't this what you are looking for? Or have I misunderstood your request?

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-03-2023 17:51
    Thanks this is what i was looking for

Mah Elay

• 6.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Employee
    Posted 01-03-2023 02:37
    I think there are some basic differences in the way ArcGIS and MapInfo Pro work. Both products can perform the same tasks. Often they just go about it in different ways.

MapInfo can do Intersect analysis through a Spatial SQL, and MapInfo Pro can do it by using the Erase/Erase Outside tools on the Spatial tab. Read more about Erase/Erase Outside.

Buffer analysis can also be done through a Spatial SQL, or you can buffer selected objects or an entire table using the Buffer tools on the Spatial tab. Read more about creating buffers.

Generally speaking all the features for working with the spatial data can be found in the Spatial tab.

You can also use the Quick Search option in the upper right corner of the MapInfo Pro window to search for specific features. It will tell you where to find these, and also provides you quick access to the Help. Read more about Quick Search.

Keep posting your questions, Mah.

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 7.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-03-2023 17:56
    Edited by Mah Elay 01-03-2023 17:57
    Analysis have many tasks see in arcgis the toolbox , does mapinfo  have something similar  ?

Mah Elay

• 8.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-04-2023 02:16
    From the Home tab, click "Tool Extensions" and you will get a list of installed tools:

The actual tools are not the same as in arcgis, but the concept is the same.

Uffe Kousgaard
    ROUTEWARE
    Roskilde

• 9.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-04-2023 18:27
    If i want to use these tools in Tool Extensions list do i click on it or they are in spatial part ? 
    mapinfo route finder  for-example or any other extension in the list since i tried to click on it or search i couldnt do it 

Mah Elay

• 10.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Employee
    Posted 01-06-2023 01:37
    That depends on the tool you want to load.

You load them in the same manner: Double-click the tool on the Registered tab or click the Run icon next to the tool. This will load the tool and it will (mostly) get put onto the Running tab. I say mostly because you can also have tools that just do their work when getting loaded and then shut down again.

Once the tool has been loaded you can interact with the tool through the ribbon interface. Some tools allow you to interact via the tool itself from the Running tab. Other tools, add their functionality as control onto a new or existing ribbon tab.

If the tool has an About dialog or Help you can try to access these from the Running tab and see if that tells you how to use the tool.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 11.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-06-2023 19:09
    Edited by Mah Elay 01-06-2023 19:56
    Thanks for the reply Peter

One thing i noted many of tools are not found in free one month version of mapinfo
    like select by attribute which you talked about before , so in general not all tools in free version 

some issue i wan to ask since i am new
    Can i export selection set i made in select by attribute to a new layer like in arcgis ? 
    when i make edit active to the layer what button should i press to add new polygons  ?
    thanks 

Sent from Outlook

• 12.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Employee
    Posted 01-08-2023 08:30
    Hi

No, the version you get with a one-month trial is exactly the same as the one you get when you buy. In fact, the trial will have a few additional features that only are part of the Premium option. That's the Bing Roads map and the Move Map To that allows you to search for locations all over the World.

Not that when you install MapInfo Pro, you can choose to install MapInfo Pro Viewer and/or MapInfo Pro. MapInfo Pro Viewer is a free viewer that is limited in a number of areas. For example, it doesn't allow you to edit data.

Make sure the MapInfo Pro you launch is called MapInfo Pro v2021 and when it has been launched that it looks similar to what you see below. MapInfo Pro Viewer opens in a different color-scheme (green, I think)

1. Yes, when you have made a selection you can either use this temporary selection in your map, or you can save it as a native tab file, open it an duse it as an additional dataset.

2. When you have made your layer editable, you can use the Insert dropdown from the Create group on the Spatial tab to choose the type of object you want to draw. Below I have marked the Polygon tool that you can use to draw polygons - or regions as we often refer to.

In this post, you can find a comprehensive guide on Drawing and Editing in MapInfo Pro.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 13.  RE: Select by Attribute and Analysis in mapinfo ?

Posted 01-08-2023 18:41
    Thanks Peter 

Sent from Outlook