MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Register bunch of .tif files

Posted 08-17-2022 09:04
    Hi,

I am looking for a way to register a bunch of .tif files. I have tiles (350 .tif files) and I was looking for a way to register them somehow automatically, not one by one.
    Is there such an option in MapInfo?
    I am using MapInfo Pro ver 2021.1

Thanks,
    Nik

------------------------------
    Nikolay Iliev
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Register bunch of .tif files
    Best Answer

Posted 08-17-2022 10:23

Hello Nikolay,

As usual, there are several ways you could register your TIFF images, as long as you have the registration/projection information as data somewhere. Obviously, if each needs registering based on, say, grid lines on the map, then you're probably stuck with manual registration. Do you have your registration information in a file or database, or perhaps are they GEOTIFFs?

TAB files, with the same file name body, carry the registration information so it's possible to script (in MapBasic or Python) so code to write the TAB for each TIF. If all your TIFFs are in the same projection, you can manually register one to get a model TAB file and programmatically output variations of it.

Alternatives without programming include FME which is very good at converting rasters, as is the underlying GDAL library and tools. Both can read pretty much anything and output TAB+TIF pairs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Warren Vick

Europa Technologies Ltd.

www.europa.uk.com

• 3.  RE: Register bunch of .tif files

Employee
    Posted 08-18-2022 01:59
    If the files, as Warren said, do contain registration information such as coordsys and "control point" information, you should be able to just open the files using the Open dialog in MapInfo Pro.

You can also try another way. From the Raster tab, select the Convert option in the Raster Operations gallery. Now try to select a few of the files via the "Browse" button. You don't need to have the files open in MapInfo Pro when doing this.

Once you have selected the files, just exist the Convert panel - you do not have to actually convert the files.

Now check if MapInfo Pro has created tab files for the raster files you selected. If so, you can use this method and select all your raster files.

This method is typically useful if your raster files do hold orientation information but might not have information about the coordinate system. If I recall correctly, you will only be asked once about the coordsys for all the raster files. If you use the Open dialog, MapInfo Pro will prompt you for every raster.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 4.  RE: Register bunch of .tif files

Posted 08-23-2022 07:49
    The files I have, does not contain any information about control points and coordsys. The method using convert works and creates .tab files. I'll probably use the suggested Warren method, using script.
    Thanks for the answer.

Nikolay Iliev
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 5.  RE: Register bunch of .tif files

Employee
    Posted 08-18-2022 08:54
    MapBasic 21.0 download has source code for a tool provided under: \Samples\MAPBASIC\RasterSeam
    Tool should be included with next release, but you can use it now by compiling and linking the project file for an earlier x64 version if needed.
    Basically it will ask you to point to a folder of your *.tif files and will register each in turn creating the result .tab file using ether a world file (e.g.: *.tfw) or as a geotiff and create a seamless raster table. 
    If you don't need the Seamless table, ignore it, but you will end up with all these *.tif files being registered at once.
    Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com