MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Monday: Airport Zones in 3D

Employee
    Posted 02-26-2024 02:55
    Edited by Peter Møller 02-26-2024 07:52
      |   view attached

Happy #MapInfoMonday!

In today's article, I will go through several workflows to show you how you can create data to show in the 3D map in MapInfo Pro v2023.

I have picked airport zones as an example but I'll already now let you know that I'm not creating these the official way. My goal is not to create accurate airport zones but to show you how you can create data for your 3D map.

My resulting 3D map will look something like this.

In this first article, I will create the zones around the runways. In a follow-up article, we will create the zones at the end of the runways.

If you want to play along, I have shared the input table: the runways. I have drawn these myself using an aerial image so again these are not the official runways.

1. Airport Zones

The first derived data set I want to create is some zones around the runways.
    I start by creating a copy of my Runways table called ZonesRunways. As I need a combined buffer around all the runways, I selected the lines in the table ZonesRunways and combined these. In this way, I will only have one object for all runways.
    As I want to create 5 zones around my runways but at different distances and different heights, I add two new columns to my table: Buffer and Elevation. Both are numerical.
    I now use Copy & Paste to create four copies of my combined runways object. After that, I change the values in the two columns to reflect the wanted distance and elevation for the zones.
    I have used these distances and elevations for my zones:
    • Buffer: 4000 meters, elevation: 20.00 meters
    • Buffer: 4500 meters, elevation: 28.75 meters
    • Buffer: 5000 meters, elevation: 37.50 meters
    • Buffer: 5500 meters, elevation: 46.25 meters
    • Buffer: 6000 meters, elevation: 55.00 meters
    In the image below, you can see the map of the five runway zones as combined lines. In the Info window, you can see the result of clicking on the lines with the Info tool. It shows the original runway and five objects in the ZonesRunways table each with different buffer and elevation values.
    As the MapInfo Pro user interface doesn't allow you to do object processing work on a table that supports M & Z values, I have until now worked with tables that don't support M & Z. Now I'll have to save my table into a new table that does support M & Z values to be able to assign Z values to my zones.
    In the Save Copy of Table As dialog, make sure that you check the Support MZ option.
    I now have a table with as many objects as I want zones and all I need to do is to convert these polylines into buffer zones. I will use the SQL Window to run an Update statement changing the spatial objects in my table using a Buffer function and the buffer column holding the radius of the buffers.
    This is the Update statement that I will use. The Buffer function takes four parameters: the object to create a buffer around, the resolution of the buffer, the radius, and the distance units. As I'm looking to end up with polylines illustrating the zones, I'll convert the resulting buffers to polylines using ConvertToPline.
    Update ZonesMZ
       Set OBJ = ConvertToPline(Buffer(obj, 72, Buffer, "m"))
    Below you can see the resulting 5 zones around the runways.

2. Assigning the elevation to the zones

In this next step, we will assign the elevation values from the elevation column to each of the zones we created in the previous step.
    We will use DrawTool, an add-in from the Marketplace to update the nodes with the elevation values. If you haven't already installed DrawTools, open the MapInfo Marketplace, locate DrawTools, and click the Install button.
    Make the ZonesMZ layer editable and select all the records from the layer.
    From the Nodes dropdown on the Spatial tab, click on the Update ZM Values control.
    In the Update ZM Value dialog, check the Update Z Values option, switch to Column, and select the column elevation from the list of columns. Also make sure the method selected is Set to.
    When you click on the OK button, the tool will assign the value from the elevation column to all the nodes on each object. This method allows you to assign different elevations to each object but the same value to all nodes on the same object.
    Unfortunately, the elevations won't look like much at the scale we will be looking at. So to make the zones stand out from the ground, I'll multiply the elevations on all nodes by 10.
    Make sure all the zones still are selected and open the Update ZM Value dialog again. This time we specify a fixed value, 10, and we switch to the method Multiply.
    Click on the OK button and make sure to save the changes to the table.

3. View the result in a 3D map

Now let's see how this looks in 3D. From the 3D tab click on New 3D map.
    We will use the Mapzen Terrarium elevation source and the PreciselyBronze tile server layer as surface.
    In the Add Layers from Map dialog, I select these layers: ZonesMZ and Runways
    My first 3D map looks like this.
    This article intends to make you familiar with the options you have for creating data to be viewed in the 3D map. More tips to come in another article.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)

zip
    Runways.zip   13 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Airport Zones in 3D

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2024 01:33

Here is a video that shows how to do this: