MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo 9 can't not working on Win11

Posted 11-05-2022 08:43
    Here is my situation:
    I'm working with MapInfo 9( I know it's pretty old) over decade, for many reason (customize utilities, deployment, etc...), there is no plan to upgrade to a new version. However recently the new computer is coming with Winows 11, and sadly MapInfo 9 can't not working on it, MI9 always stuck at startup (not responding).
    (1)it's a brand new PC with Windows 11(OEM)
    (2)We've try many time to recovery Win11 and install / uninstall MapInfo and check a lot settings, ex.firewall, anti-virus, printer, user account....

Dose anyone met this situation ? how to fix it ?
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Victor Chen
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: MapInfo 9 can't not working on Win11

Employee
    Posted 11-07-2022 01:58
    Hi

As you said yourself this is a rather old version of MapInfo Pro. I can say that we certainly haven't tested that version on Windows 11 :-)

Would you be willing to try out the latest 32-bit version to see if that works?
    You can download it from here: MapInfo Pro v15.0 Evaluation Version (32-bit version

I would also recommend installing the latest patch for v15.0: MapInfo Pro v15.0.3 Maintenance Release (32-bit)

I would of course prefer for you to get up to the latest version of MapInfo Pro but that would require that you test out your application to see how they behave under the 64-bit versions of MapInfo Pro. You can download a 30-day trial of MapInfo Pro v2021.1 here: Precisely MapInfo Pro v2021.1

Have you tried playing with the Compatability options?

Sorry that I can't offer other advice

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: MapInfo 9 can't not working on Win11

Posted 11-07-2022 02:31
      |   view attached
    Hi Peter,
    Thank you for reply.
    Indeed, MI9 is quiet old, but my company can't and not plan to upgrade it, because we have many customize tool are still working which are develope from MapBasic 9, it's quiet different between MapBasic 9 and new version(12, 15, 17....or newer), we will not able to work if we upgrade it.

Yes, I've tried install and execute MapInfo 9 with  compatability options,
    the setting is Run this program in  compatability mode for "Windows 7" & Run this program as an administrator.
    no different.

After over 20 times tried, Win 11 is give up, I degrade it to Win10.
    However things going worsen, install even can not complete, stuck at the end.

Victor Chen

• 4.  RE: MapInfo 9 can't not working on Win11

Employee
    Posted 11-07-2022 03:47
    MapInfo Pro v15.0 32-bit is quite similar to MapInfo Pro v9.0.

Well, there are some differences but it's still 32-bit and using the classic menu-based interface. I would think your tools eventhough they have been compiled with MapBasic 9.0 will work in v15.0 too.

I do not have much to offer with respect to your issues with MapInfo Pro v9.0.
    One thing: Do remember to right-click on Setup.exe and use Run as Administrator when you install it.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: MapInfo 9 can't not working on Win11

Posted 11-07-2022 22:09
    Finally, I found the tricky things.
    There are few dependent third party lib need to prepare and install on windows, but MapInfo 9 installer not notice that, they are
    (1)Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistrubuteable Package(x86)
    (2)Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 3 Redistrubuteable Package(x86)
    (3)Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistrubuteable Package(x86)
    (4)(1)Microsoft Office Access database engine 2010

After install the 4 above dependents, MapInfo 9 are install successfully and working fine.

Peter, thank you for your reply.

Victor Chen