MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Info tool default position

Posted 09-16-2022 09:45
    Hello All,

In Pro v2021 is there a way to make the Info tool window open by default as Floating?  At the moment it's opening docked when I click on a map object - this means that it moves and re-sizes the map window and if I have a lot of data pulling over the network, it's frustratingly slow to re-draw.  Then to make it floating, I have to wait again for another re-draw.  It always used to open by default as floating, which is what I want - have I missed a setting somewhere where I can change this?

Thanks,
    Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: Info tool default position

Employee
    Posted 09-19-2022 03:48
    Hi Jane

MapInfo Pro should or can remember the positions of your tool windows.
    Here's how I typically do this:

1. I position the windows in the way I want them.
    I use the docked position for most of my windows. For the Tools window, I also set it to auto-hide.
    I have also positioned the Ruler window where I want it and then closed it again.

2. I now save the positions
    Via the Pro tab, I access the backstage and go to Options. From here I access Application Preferences

I now click on the Save Current Positions option under Tool Windows.
    Note that I have unchecked Save on Exit to not accidentally save unwanted positions but I have checked Create on Startup to load the saved positions for my tool windows.

This should help you get your tool windows to appear where you want them. Personally, I rarely use floating tool windows. I have as you can see in the first image many windows stacked on the left side of the MapInfo window. For me that works quite well.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Info tool default position

Employee
    Posted 09-19-2022 23:06
    Hey Peter,
    Would the 'Include Window Location, State or Size Changes' option in Workspace Preferences also be an option?

John Fifoot
    Precisely Software Pty Ltd
    North Sydney NSW

• 4.  RE: Info tool default position

Employee
    Posted 09-20-2022 03:08
    Good point, John.
    That can be an option or a pitfall. I have disabled this option.

If you have it enabled, the workspace might change the position of your tool windows

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: Info tool default position

Posted 09-20-2022 11:13
    Thanks Peter, that's helpful.  I've amended those settings - the windows are mainly docked, it's specifically the Info window I need floating - so will see how it goes tomorrow.

Jane Mason

• 6.  RE: Info tool default position

Posted 09-22-2022 06:26
    The Info window seems to be opening floating now, so thanks for that, Peter.

Jane Mason