EngageOne™

View Only
  • 1.  How to Regex Field Mask

Posted 06-08-2023 11:37

I'm looking for a method to filter out non-printing characters from a prompted variable in an interactive template.  Alternately is there a way to prevent pasting into a field prompt?  Thanks in advance,

-Rob Doucette.

------------------------------
    Robert Doucette
    BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD SOUTH CAROLINA
    COLUMBIA SC

• 2.  RE: How to Regex Field Mask

Employee
    Posted 06-09-2023 06:41

Hi Robert.

Thanks for your question.

Can you expand on where you are looking to restrict the prompt content ?

i.e Are you using the EngageOne Designer Interactive Data Field and Interactive Variable option "Visible on XForm" to invoke the prompt on the Interactive Web Client or directly within the EngageOne Interactive Editor (ActiveX or Desktop App) ?

Assuming that you are referencing an Interactive Data Field or Interactive Variable "string" data type , the default will allow entry of any valid Windows character supported by the Designer Field / Variable font reference within the Interactive Editor.

Currently , the only method to restrict Interactive Editor prompt choices , is to define the EngageOne Designer Interactive Data Field or Interactive Variable using the Field or Variable definition dialog options ;

1. "Set data validation rules -> Data validation -> Choices"

2. "Validate choices: -> Selection type"  and choose as appropriate from one of ;

Drop Down list

Radio Buttons

Check Boxes

3. Select "Selection values: -> Define" to invoke the "Define" choices dialog where you can enter the list of choices.

These defined choices will then be the only valid choices allowed when the EngageOne Designer Publication using these Interactive Data Field / Variable choice definitions is published to , imported by EngageOne Server and subsequently used within EngageOne Interactive web client and Editor.

If the above does not meet your requirement, please raise an ideas portal request.

Paul Barron
    Principal QA
    EngageOne Compose (Designer / Generate)

• 3.  RE: How to Regex Field Mask

Posted 06-09-2023 08:05

Thanks for the response, Paul, your assumption is correct on the use case.

I'm seeing instances where end users are using copy/paste for data entry and are inadvertently including non-printing character data into the strings. The non-printing characters are causing downstream processes to fail.  Those processes are not able to modify any input data, this is by policy.

Something like a regex mask (I know this isn't a product feature) could restrict input characters to alpha numerics.

Robert Doucette
    COLUMBIA SC

• 4.  RE: How to Regex Field Mask

Employee
    Posted 06-12-2023 07:58

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the context and background.

One possibility in current EngageOne Designer versions is to use the Formula Condition "InSet" Function to validate the string content entered by the user and display a warning message within the document if the characters are not within the range allowed.

Example

In Design logic , Insert the Interactive Data Field / Interactive Variable

Below the Interactive Field/Variable reference, assign a String Variable to the Field / Variable

Inset a Condition and Choose "Formula" condition type

Use the following or similar syntax

(InSet(Var.StringTest,"My first allowed string or character") = TRUE) OR

(InSet(Var.StringTest,"My second allowed string or character") = TRUE)

.. where the values within the quotes are the range of valid characters to be validated against.

Add a String to the Condition False result . e.g 

Var.StringTest content is not within the allowed range

This is similar to the Interactive Data Field / Variable Data validation "In Range" which works only for Numeric types, whereas the "InSet" conditional operator allows you to test against string values.

Note that each character or phrase must be entered explicitly as a new "InSet" value.

Have a look and see if that will help.

If not , please raise a request in the Precisely Ideas portal.

Paul Barron
    Principal QA
    EngageOne Compose (Designer / Generate)

• 5.  RE: How to Regex Field Mask

Posted 06-14-2023 02:46

The request for a regex validation method for strings has been in the ideas for years already..... please vote

Adrie vlutters
    Dialog Solutions Nederland BV
    Bunnik

• 6.  RE: How to Regex Field Mask

Posted 06-14-2023 09:25

Thanks for that, would be nice if Ideas were returned in a Community search.

I upvoted the regex idea and added a note to a data validation idea to include regex there.

Robert Doucette
    COLUMBIA SC