Precisely Enterworks

View Only
  • 1.  Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Posted 07-27-2022 09:24
    Hi.

One thing that is absolutely useless is having spaces at the end of data entries by users and administrators alike. Since you can't see them, it's hard to detect them. Is there a way to add a global trim command in the java coding of the system, that will remove all blank spaces inadvertently added to the beginning and end of all fields? I'm aware of the VTL command and I have that added to a select few popular fields but it's never necessary to have spaces at the beginning or end in any of the data. Should be a global rule, don't you agree? Thoughts on this??

Best,
    -Jon

------------------------------
    Jonathan Varo | Manager - PIM Group
    Fender Musical Instruments Corporation | 480-845-5823

• 2.  RE: Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Posted 07-28-2022 12:47
    I second this. We have off and on issues with unnecessary spaces and I usually burn through support hours with our consultant trying to detect the issue. 

Good suggestion!
    Abby

Abigail Affeldt | Product Information Manager
    Graco | (612) 623-6000

• 3.  RE: Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Posted 08-01-2022 10:41
    Count IDEA in too!

Brenda Maxwell | Director, Product Management
    IDEA | 6787788921

• 4.  RE: Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Posted 07-29-2022 08:59
    I agree. These are hard to detect and we also have had to burn through hours in the past to find. We would be in favor of a global rule as well.

Kim Connor | Director, Product Content Management
    Affiliated Distributors (AD) | 484-432-2968

• 5.  RE: Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Employee
    Posted 07-30-2022 20:26
    Jon,

For Imports, one of the Advanced Options is to Ignore White space, which should take care of leading and trailing spaces for imports.  I think having a general global rule that ensures any attribute update in any record in designated repositories is cleared of any leading or trailing white space.  I think it makes sense to have this control at the repository level (you would open the <repository> -> Edit -> Properties) to set the option.  There is an existing Jira ticket open, requesting this capability:  EW-4545.  I have updated the comments in it to indicate that Fender, Graco, and AD are also interested in having such a feature.  I suggest that anyone else who wishes to have this capability or escalate its importance open a Support ticket with a reference to this Jira ticket and details on what the impact is by NOT having the capability.

The workaround would be to define an Export/Import sequence for each repository (in which the white space needs to be removed), and use SQL for the export to output any record having leading or trailing white space to the file, then importing the resulting file with the option to Ignore White space to force it to remove that white space.  If the attributes are in the snapshot, then the SQL can reference them directly.  If they are NOT in the snapshot, the SQL would need to extract the values from the XML column.  To maintain the process, any time attributes are added or removed, the export SQL would need to be updated as well as the Import Template for the import.  Once implemented, the export/import sequence might produce a non-empty file the first time it is run, but if it were to be run again immediately, the second time should produce an empty file since the first import should have cleared any white space.  The sequence could be configured to run periodically (such as daily or weekly) with the understanding that there would be latency between updates that add white space and when that white space is cleared.  But you could always run that process on-demand or tie it to key processes, such as a precursor to a scheduled promotion and/or export.

-Brian

Brian Zupke | Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Winshuttle North America | 909-900-9179

• 6.  RE: Global Trim Rule in EnterWorks

Posted 08-01-2022 11:30
    Hi Brian,

Is there a brown bag session on this functionality? Unfortunately, I can't find the Edit -> Properties option to ignore white space. Adding that option to any repository that we import to will help immensely. Unfortunately, it won't do much for copying and pasting where, even if you copy text from the left side preview, it adds the space to it if you're not careful. It would be best to have the global rule be applied in EnterWorks itself simply due to this... it's unnecessary.

I have requested some time with you in the support area.

Thanks,
    -Jon

Jonathan Varo | Manager - PIM Group
    Fender Musical Instruments Corporation | 480-845-5823