MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-12-2023 10:59

Hello, I am still getting used to v.2021 after a long time working on v. 17 and there are couple of little niggles with the Explorer pane that are slowing me down so it would be good to find out if there are solutions. 

Firstly is there an option to mousewheel scroll in the Explore pane that I have missed? I often work with 30+ layers and I miss not being able to do this even whilst the Map window is still active. 

Secondly, changing the state of a layer (ie on/off, editable/non-editable etc) was a one click operation in v. 17 but now in some situations it needs two. Say I have a map with 30+ layers, mostly raster images. I turn off Layer 1, return to work in the map window and later identify that I need to turn off the image in Layer 20 because it is obscuring other images below. I drag the Explorer slider down to show Layer 20 and Layer 1 scrolls out of view. At this point , if I try to click in the on/off box straight off (as I would in v. 17) this will instead cause the layer list to autoscroll back up to show Layer 1 and I will have to drag the slider back down to locate Layer 20. If I click on the layer to highlight it and then click to tick this doesn't happen. And this doesn't happen when the last changed Layer is still in view, then its just one click to tick. Is this something glitchy in my installation or is this how it's meant to work? 

Any thoughts on these or how to work more efficiently with large numbers of overlapping raster images gratefully received! 

Thanks

Alison

------------------------------
    [Alison] [Deegan]
    [Air Photo and LiDAR Interpreter (Archaeology)]
    [UK]

• 2.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-14-2023 18:39

Hi Alison,
    I'm glad you raised this issue as it is something that I've also noticed but assumed it was my poor aim with the cursor on the check box. It did seem to be happening a lot though. As I've only be using MapInfo for 6 months and upgraded to v21 a few months in, I didn't have enough experience with the old version to identify that maybe it is an issue with v21.
    Kind regards
    Mark

Mark McGovern
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 3.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-16-2023 03:03

Hi Mark,
    Thanks, I'm glad this experience is not unique to me! For ages I thought I was getting clumsy, which was a little unnerving!
    Alison 

[Alison] [Deegan]
    [Air Photo and LiDAR Interpreter (Archaeology)]
    [UK]

• 4.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-15-2023 06:10

Hi Alison
    Just tried this and I can scroll OK and turn Layers on and off without the problems that you are getting.
    Are you on Build 33 of v2021.1?
    Downloads are here https://support.precisely.com/product-downloads/for/mapinfo-professional/

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Employee
    Posted 05-16-2023 02:31

OK, this isn't that easy to reproduce but I was able to. But it doesn't always seem to fail.

Do you have one map open or multiple maps?

You can use the mouse wheel to scroll in the Explorer, Alison. This was not something I had tried before.

I'll pass this on to our support team to see if they can reproduce which can be tricky. I was able to produce a video showing the problem when it occurs.
    I'll also pass on your emails, Mark & Alison, as they may want to reach out.

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 6.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-16-2023 03:32

Thanks Peter, 

I appreciate you testing for these issues and passing them on to support. 

I usually have at least two maps open but both issues - no wheel scrolling and jumping in the Explorer pane happen whether there is one map or many, tabbed or floating. Wheel scrolling in the explorer pane works in my v.17.0.2 Build 16 but not in my v.2019.3 Build 43 (which I only used a couple of times). 

I think it must be my particular work set - large numbers of overlapping images that need a lot of interaction - that means I am getting this problem so regularly. 

Thanks

Alison

Alison Deegan
    Air Photo and LiDAR Interpreter (Archaeology
    UK

• 7.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-16-2023 06:01

Hello again Peter, 

I have accidentally resolved my mouse wheel scroll issue by undocking the Explorer pane. It now works whether the Explorer pane is docked or undocked. I have also noticed that I now have the 2 sliders, the one for within sections the other for between sections.  I only had one before.

I haven't yet experienced the automatic scrolling issue in this new set up so I'll see if this is still an issue over the next couple of days.

Thanks

Alison   

Alison Deegan
    Air Photo and LiDAR Interpreter (Archaeology)
    UK

• 8.  RE: Explorer scrolling issues

Posted 05-16-2023 03:06

Hello John, 
    Yes I am on Build 33 of 2021.1. Good to know the wheel scroll ability is still there - now to find out how to restore it here. 
    Thanks

Alison

Alison Deegan
    Air Photo and LiDAR Interpreter (Archaeology
    UK