MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Creating buffer via buffer object issue

Posted 05-30-2023 10:33

Hi all,

I have a small issue. I would like to create a buffer object in order to keep the data of my original file in the results. For any reasons, the buffer object always remains inactivated although, I did activate the edit function of my layer and did select it.

Could you someone help me to sort this out?

Thank you,

Joachim

------------------------------
    joachim Denaeyer
    ORANGE BELGIUM
    Evere

• 2.  RE: Creating buffer via buffer object issue

Employee
    Posted 05-31-2023 02:07

Hi Joachim

There is (at least) two way to create buffers in MapInfo Pro. 

You can use the Buffer Object option from the Buffer dropdown on the Spatial tab which will create a buffer around selected objects. This will create the buffers in the editable layer.
    Or you can use the Buffer Table option also from the Buffer dropdown on the Spatial tab to create all records from a table.
    I'd suggest using Buffer Table.

Buffer Table also prompts you to either create the buffers in an existing table or into a new table.

You can read more here: Buffering Objects in MapInfo Pro

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Creating buffer via buffer object issue

Employee
    Posted 05-31-2023 05:06

PS:

The trick for getting the data from the points/lines onto the buffer lies in using the Buffer Table.

Let me walk you through it.

After selection Buffer Table, you will be brought through a number of dialogs to help you create the desired output.

1. Select the table to buffer from the Table Buffer dialog. Often you will create a new table to store the result into. To do so, select <New> from the second list.

2. As I selected to create a new table, I will now have to specify how this table should look. First, I select how to open and show it, and I also select to base its table structure on my input table. In that way, they have the same columns.

3. If needed, I can modify the table structure in the New Table Structure dialog. If not, I just click on Create....

4. Now I give the new table a name and specify where to save it.

5. And now it's time to specify how to create buffers. It's important to use One buffer for each object if you want to copy the data from the input records onto the buffers. Click Next>> to control how to copy the data.

6. Thi is the final step but quite important if you want to copy the attributes onto the buffers. If you have created a copy of the table structure from the input table, MapInfo Pro will in most cases by default copy the data from the input table to the buffers. In some cases, you will have to specify this manually.

It's important that for each column, the Method Value has been specified and that the Source Field is matching the Destination. Select the matching column from the list.

Once done, click OK to create your buffers.

Hopefully this helps.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data