MapReveal™ Software

View Only

Creating Bubble Style Maps on MapReveal™ Software

• 1.  Creating Bubble Style Maps on MapReveal™ Software

Employee
    Posted 07-13-2023 05:53
    Edited by Anurag Hazarika 07-14-2023 06:12

Welcome to the MapRevealTM Community!

In this article, we will explore the Bubble Style map option available in the Styling Panel in MapRevealTM. Bubble Maps can be created using a Point layer, where bubbles (circles) can be created around each point feature based on its attribute value. Similar to creating weighted heatmaps - which considers feature attribute values along with the point density, bubble map styling can be used to create bubbles where the radius of the bubble around each point can be defined based on the corresponding attribute value of the feature.

In this example, I have a dataset for all cities with 1 million+ population. Following snapshot shows the layer and its attribute table:

Once the layer is uploaded, you can expand the Styling Panel and select Heat Map option from the Styling Types dropdown. You can then select Bubble Style from the Heatmap Type. From the Data Field, you can select Population – which is the attribute of interest for this example.

Once done, the following menu appears which allows you to customize the Bubble Style applied for the layer. You can specify the following:

• Minimum / Maximum Bubble Radius – The minimum/maximum value for the radius of the bubble map
    • Color – The fill color for the bubble map
    • Border – The border/stroke color for the bubble map
    • Opacity – You can specify the Fill opacity using the slider
    • Border Opacity - You can specify the Border opacity using the slider

Once your desired parameters are set, you can click on the Update button to render the map.

In the next step, I want to add the same layer and apply fixed styling to visualize the points in the center of the bubble maps. The Duplicate option can be used to copy the layer within the same Map Session.

For the new layer created in the previous step, the styling can be changed to Fixed Styling and the desired styling parameters can be applied. 

In the next section, we will look at how we can publish this map as a Web Map for wider consumption. From the Box Menu on the right top control, you can click on the Publish button. The following modal appears which allows you to customize the published Web Map:

Once you hit the Publish Button, the following APIs are created. You can copy the WebMap URL to share the Web Map with anyone from your team or any other stakeholder.

This is what the published Web Map looks like once you hit the WebMap URL created in the previous step.

You can use this link to access the Web Map I published in this example. 

I hope you found this useful. I will discuss the Publish functionality of MapRevealTM in detail in a follow up article. Keep an eye out for this space!

------------------------------
    Anurag Hazarika
    Product Manager
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------