View Only
  • 1.  Conversion of mrr to grd - issues to use files in older/other tools

Posted 05-08-2023 07:37
      |   view attached

Hi Community,

I have an issue with conversion of mrr files to Vertical Mapper format
    grd.

We use a number of internal and external
    tools in telecom that use grd/grc as import/export format, so it is necessary for us to have our raster data in grd/grc (and not only in mrr).
    I have tried to convert mrr files to grd/grc for this reason and get errors in the grd files indicating that the formatting of the grd is different from previous.

I have done the following:

- converted height data
    from mrr to grd in MapInfo v21
    - open the grd in MapInfo v15, this works fine
    - open the grd in GlobalMapper v24, here the data is all distorted (see attached screenshot)
    - I also try to do resize and reproject of the grd in MapInfo v15 and this is not possible. I get "Vertical Mapper Error #2" when I try to resize and "Raster engine was unable to recognize image file format" when trying to reproject
    - I tried the same thing in MapInfo v21 and there the grd works fine to resize/reproject

I have done the same test with a older grd file (that works fine in v15 and GlobalMapper) which I converted to mrr and then back to grd in MapInfo v21, and get the same issues with this data. So it seems not to be relates to the source of the data, but the formatting of the grd in v21,

I have done the same tests with grc files generated from mrr, and these seems to work fine in older/external tools so far.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or have any ideas on how to overcome this ?

Thanks in advance
    /Johan

------------------------------
    /Johan Frössling
    Team Leader - Geodata SME
    Ericsson AB

• 2.  RE: Conversion of mrr to grd - issues to use files in older/other tools

Posted 05-09-2023 01:43

VM grid files store data as an integer which can either be 16-bit or 32-bit. There are scale & offset values that transform your floating point data to integer for storage, and convert the integer back to floating point when you load it.

Pro always writes using 32-bit integers and this is not compatible with some software. 

Johan, I sent you a personal message about this.

Sam Roberts
    Founder, Roberts Geospatial Engineering
    Australia

• 3.  RE: Conversion of mrr to grd - issues to use files in older/other tools

Posted 05-09-2023 02:35

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for the explanation and feedback, appreciated
    /Johan

/Johan Frössling