Precisely Enterworks

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to create a dropdown of attributes from another repo

Posted 02-12-2024 15:58
    Edited by Ryan Hayes 02-12-2024 15:59

Hello,

Sorry...I just noticed that my subject is not totally accurate of what I'm looking for.  I'm trying to create an attribute in one repository that is a dropdown list of the values of an attribute from another repository.  Not a list of attributes themselves.  For example, I have a Vendor Name attribute in my Vendor Receipt repo that I want to be a dropdown list of the Vendor Name attribute values from the Vendor repository.  So every time a new Vendor is added, it will automatically be an option in that Vendor Name dropdown list in the Vendor Receipt repo. 

I would also want the Vendor Name attribute in the Vendor Receipt repo to auto-search by the characters added.  So if the user starts typing in the Vendor Name attribute, the results will reflect the characters typed.  There are a lot of Vendors, so having it searchable in some way rather than scrolling through the long list of Vendors would be ideal.

I tried using the 'Custom Dropdown List Dynamic' and 'Custom Dropdown List Static' control type options of the attribute, with this SQL...
    Select InternalRecordId, Vendor_Name from VENDOR_STAGING
    But it's very slow to load the dropdown list and this option doesn't make the attribute searchable from what I can tell.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ryan Hayes
    Sundance Catalog Co
    UT

• 2.  RE: Best way to create a dropdown of attributes from another repo

Posted 02-13-2024 06:59

Hi Ryan,

Try using the Custom Dropdown List Dynamic option,  but use the following SQL instead:

SELECT Vendor_Name as 'Code', Vendor_Name as 'Description'

FROM VENDOR_STAGING

For the 'Description' and 'Code' fields, feel free to use whatever attributes you would like form the Vendor repository (as long as they are relational in the model).  I usually add a WHERE clause as well to include only "active" values and an ORDER BY to make the list alphabetical, etc..  This will add allow the dropdown list to appear quickly and be 

Ex:

SELECT Vendor_ID as 'Code', Vendor_Name as 'Description'

FROM VENDOR_STAGING

WHERE Vendor_Status = 'Active'

ORDER BY VENDOR_NAME ASC

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Eric Gilboe

Amplifi

Practice Director - Precisely

Cell: 480-284-3296

www.goamplifi.com

Eric Gilboe
    Practice Director - EnterWorks
    eric.gilboe@goamplifi.com
    Atlanta | Chicago | Dallas | Los Angeles | London

• 3.  RE: Best way to create a dropdown of attributes from another repo

Posted 02-13-2024 12:13

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, that didn't work for me either.  It's still very slow to load and unusable.  I even get the nice pop-up prompt from my browser saying that the page isn't responding and asks if I want to wait or exit. Sometimes that pop-up comes up a few times, but if I click wait it does finally load.  But it's impossible to scroll through the list once it does because it's so slow and the browser seems to freeze up again.  Am I still doing something wrong? 
    The really old system we are trying to replace currently does this, so I'm hoping it can be done here with Enterworks as well.

I can set it up with a loaded codeset of the Vendors and that seems to work just fine.  But that is a static list.  I know we could probably do it a roundabout way of exporting and importing into a codeset and use that instead.  But then the users still wouldn't be able to add a new vendor and immediately associate the items with them without having to first wait for an export/import job to run at some interval to load the codeset with that new vendor.  Which is not ideal and really slows productivity.

Thanks for the help!

Ryan Hayes
    Sundance Catalog Co
    UT

• 4.  RE: Best way to create a dropdown of attributes from another repo

Posted 02-14-2024 07:39

Hi Ryan,

That is strange.  It should be a relatively quick load on the SQL dropdown.  Feel free to reach out and we can do a quick screen share to review. 

Thanks,

Eric GIlboe - Practice Director

Amplifi

Cell: 480-284-3296

Email: eric.gilboe@goamplifi.com

Eric Gilboe
    Practice Director - EnterWorks
    eric.gilboe@goamplifi.com
    Atlanta | Chicago | Dallas | Los Angeles | London

• 5.  RE: Best way to create a dropdown of attributes from another repo

Employee
    Posted 02-15-2024 19:55

Ryan,

Can you tell me approximately how many rows are in the repository that is driving the selection list?  What is the frequency of changes to this repository and how soon would those changes need to be reflected in what is viewed in the record editor?

Brian Zupke
    Precisely Software Inc.