Spectrum Technology Platform

View Only
  • 1.  US data issue: TomTom streets geocoding database vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) has 2010 and 2020 Census geo mismash problem

Posted 02-02-2022 11:39

Disclaimer: these opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the Census Bureau or any other federal agency. These are my observations as a data consumer and not as a data provider.

The TomTom streets geocoding database with vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) is returning incorrect Census data in the CensusBlockID and CensusTract fields when it cannot geocode to the block level. This vintage is the first with 2020 Census geography. It appears to be returning the correct CensusBlockID and CensusTract values when it can geocode to the block level. However, when it geocodes to the tract or block group level, it appears to be returning 2010 Census geography. This mix of Census tabulation geographies is a catastrophic data quality issue. This occurs in all 50 states and DC.

For an example, I used Geocode US Address in the Enterprise Geocoding Module, configured with the 2022.1 vintage. I input just City, StateProvince, and PostalCode as "Harrisburg", "AR", and "72432". The resulting CensusBlockID is '05111490500' and CensusTract is '490500'. However, no such tract exists in 2020 Census geography. That is from 2010 Census geography. For 2020 geography, Harrisburg is in tracts 490501 and 490502.

Contrast this by geocoding a specific address in Harriburg (look one up -- I didn't include any here as to not transmit sensitive data). Note that the CensusTract value and tract portion of CensusBlockID are correctly populated with '490501'.

Again, this mix of 2010 and 2020 Census geography occurs in every state. This makes the 2022.1 TomTom streets database *unusable* for anyone who uses CensusBlockID and CensusTract values when an address cannot be geocoded to the block level.

------------------------------
    Dave Carlson

• 2.  RE: US data issue: TomTom streets geocoding database vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) has 2010 and 2020 Census geo mismash problem

Employee
    Posted 02-03-2022 06:43
    Hi Dave,

If you haven't already, can I ask that you pass this onto our support team at support@precisely.com.
    They can investigate further and get our data engineering team involved too

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: US data issue: TomTom streets geocoding database vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) has 2010 and 2020 Census geo mismash problem

Posted 02-03-2022 08:11
    Yes! I opened a case right before posting this.Just wanted to get this in front of the user community for anyone else who uses TomTom streets data for geocoding in the US.

Dave Carlson

• 4.  RE: US data issue: TomTom streets geocoding database vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) has 2010 and 2020 Census geo mismash problem

Posted 02-08-2022 10:34
    The support team has informed me that they have isolated the issue and it will be corrected in the February vintage.

Dave Carlson

• 5.  RE: US data issue: TomTom streets geocoding database vintage 2022.1 (Geocoding TT Street US, KGD) has 2010 and 2020 Census geo mismash problem

Posted 02-28-2022 10:48
    Disclaimer: these opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the Census Bureau or any other federal agency. These are my observations as a data consumer and not as a data provider.

Indeed, this issue is fixed with the February release (vintage 2022.1 of Geocoding TT Street US).

Dave Carlson