Geocoding

View Only
  • 1.  How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-09-2019 18:05
    As the Technical Product Manager for US Geocoding, I would like to hear how you're using the pbKEY that is available when using Master Location Data (MLD). 

Do you use pbKEY just as a reference field in your address data?  Or are you using it to retrieve additional information about the addressable location that the pbKEY represents?

Do you store the full address along with the pbKEY?  Or do you just keep the pbKEY, and then use Reverse pbKEY Lookup to return the current version of the address?

Addressable locations can change over time.  An alias address might be recognized for an address.  Some addresses become obsolete because the buildings are demolished.  Addresses are corrected.  If you wanted to know an address associated with a pbKEY has changed in some way, would you prefer if this information was part of the matching and geocoding process, or would you prefer it to be an additional process you can do at any time?  

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this, and to understand how you're making pbKEY work for you.

Thanks for your input!

------------------------------
    Ellene Duffy
    Technical Product Manager
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    Boulder CO

• 2.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-15-2019 11:12
    Hi Ellene,
    Thank you for posting this question.
    Here's my response.
    Do you use pbKEY just as a reference field in your address data? Or are you using it to retrieve additional information about the addressable location that the pbKEY represents? - we are using PBkey to retrieve additional information.
    Do you store the full address along with the pbKEY? Or do you just keep the pbKEY, and then use Reverse pbKEY Lookup to return the current version of the address? - we store full address along with the PBkey. Question, is it possible to retrieve the PBkey by providing a lat/long?
    Addressable locations can change over time. An alias address might be recognized for an address. Some addresses become obsolete because the buildings are demolished. Addresses are corrected. If you wanted to know an address associated with a pbKEY has changed in some way, would you prefer if this information was part of the matching and geocoding process, or would you prefer it to be an additional process you can do at any time? - we'd prefer this information to be part of the matching and geocoding process.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Priscilla Anand

Priscilla Anand
    Technical GIS Manager
    LERETA, LLC
    Covina CA

• 3.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-15-2019 18:07
    Hi Priscilla,

Thank you for the insight into how you are using pbKEY.  I'm glad to hear that you're using the pbKEY to retrieve additional information as this is one the primary functions for which it is designed.

You said you are storing the address and the pbKEY, rather than using Reverse pbKEY Lookup to return the current version of the address.  I'm very interested to understand more about this part of your process.  Are there any additional insights you can share with me on why you are storing the address, rather than using the Reverse pbKEY Lookup to return the most current address?

In answer to your question, yes, you can retrieve the pbKEY using the Reverse Geocoding feature using the lat/lon as input.  It's available as an output, and will be returned if the nearest feature (address, street segment or intersection) has a pbKEY.  There is an option to match only to the nearest point address.  If MLD is the only point-level data set you have loaded, you can set this option to ensure that you will return the closest address with a pbKEY.

Thank you for your feedback regarding where it would be most useful to have information about changes to an address associated with a pbKEY.  This is particularly helpful as we are in the process of designing a new feature to provide this level of detail, and I will definitely be taking this into account during that process.  

I really appreciate your input!

Kind Regards,
    Ellene Duffy

Ellene Duffy
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    Boulder CO

• 4.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-16-2019 15:08
    ​Hi Ellene,

Sure. please see my comments below.

Are there any additional insights you can share with me on why you are storing the address, rather than using the Reverse pbKEY Lookup to return the most current address? - this is due to our business process. It's mandatory for us to keep the input and the standardized address, in case of disputes with our determinations.
    In answer to your question, yes, you can retrieve the pbKEY using the Reverse Geocoding feature using the lat/lon as input. - do we need a separate license to do the reverse geocoding?

Thank you!

Priscilla Anand
    Technical GIS Manager
    LERETA, LLC
    Covina CA

• 5.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-16-2019 15:42
    Hi Priscilla,

Thanks for sharing the details regarding your business need to retain the addresses.  This is a helpful use case for us to keep in mind.

Reverse Geocoding is an optional, licensed feature, so you would need to get an updated license if it's not currently part of your existing license.

Thanks again for your input and feedback!

Ellene Duffy
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    Boulder CO

• 6.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-16-2019 15:46
    Thank you for the licensing info, appreciated! ​

Priscilla Anand
    Technical GIS Manager
    LERETA, LLC
    Covina CA

• 7.  RE: How are you using pbKEY in your processes and applications?

Posted 07-16-2019 15:56
    You're welcome!  As always, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ellene Duffy
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE
    Boulder CO