LAE

View Only
  • 1.  Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 01-30-2020 14:41

Hi all,

I'm new using LAE and I have a question regarding the emails.

My company has to send several emails with a custom a message for each customer, but they also want to be able to receive a soft and hard bounce in case an email address is not correct or if the inbox it's full.

Is it possible to configure a node in LAE that allows me to receive soft and hard bounce emails?

I understand that it would be necessary to code it.

Please let me know if any other information required.

Kind regards,
    Nicolas Q.

• 2.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 01-31-2020 05:15

Hi Nicolas,

the type of rejection message that would be sent by the recipient's SMTP server is determined by the configuration of that server/ state of the user's account on the server. 

In LAE you can use the Send Email+ node to send one or more messages to a specified SMTP server e.g. your organization's Exchange email server. As SMTP servers typically use a store and forward mechanism to send email messages to the recipient's SMTP server, any bounce messages from the recipient's server will be returned to the originating SMTP server - e.g. your organization's email server and are typically delivered to the originating sender's email account. 

The Send Email+ node properties must be configured to connect to, and authenticate with, a specified SMTP server. The node's properties enable you to configure the 'FromAddress' - which is either a literal value or can be derived from a Graph property or Run property. All emails sent as a consequence of running the node will therefore be attributed to this user on the originating SMTP server and any bounce replies will be returned to this account.

The Send Email+ node allows you to parameteize its operation so that properties including the 'MessageSubject', 'ToAddress', 'CcAddress', 'MessageBody', 'FilesToAttach' and 'HtmlMesageBody' can be sourced from values in fields in the node's input data.

So you could for example:

• send a fixed text message to multiple recipients
    • send a custom message to each recipient
    • send a custom message and attach individual files to each recipient.

Note that you must always include the MessageBody value as this is used to deliver a Text email body in the message (in case the user's email client does not support HTML email). If you want to send a HTML message then the optional 'HtmlMesageBody' property must be specified. 

The SendEmail+ node can be found in the Publishing category of the node palette. See the node Help for details of the configuration of the node. 

• 3.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 01-31-2020 05:32

There was an example .brg for the Send Email+ node on the old community forum that you may find useful. I have attached it below. 

Attached files

<Deleted> - see comments below

• 4.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 02-06-2020 17:04

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your response.

I can't open your example, can you please upload it again?

And by any chance do you have an example on how to send an email with a htmlmessagebody? It's not working for me.
    Or should I create another post for this?

• 5.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 02-07-2020 07:25

Hi Nicolas,

I am re-attaching the file, see below. The example includes a use case that sends HTML message body (at the top right of the canvas).

In the use case the send email+ node is configured to obtain the HTML message body from an input field:

Note the use cases in the example reference Run Properties which will need to be configured. The Run Parameters dialog is accessed from the menu:

Not all Run parameters need to be populated, depending on the example being run but you will need to configure the top three Run parameters for the HTML message body example. 

Attached files

send_email_example_v6.1.brg

• 6.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 02-07-2020 07:31

As the brg file format is textual clicking on the link in Chrome displays the contents of the file in the browser. If you use Right-click -> Save as you can then download the graph as a file (you can remove the leading digits in the file name - these are just a consequence of how the attachments are stored online)

• 7.  RE: Hard and soft bounce email

Employee
    Posted 02-20-2020 13:52

I wasn't configuring the Run parameters, thanks for telling me.

Everything works now.