Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

• 1.  Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 03-20-2018 06:05

So I'm having an issue where the legends are not transferring across to Spectrum from MI.

I've used legend designer. The legend items are styles from unique values in column and the labels are from the same column. See images below for result.

In current format this is unusable and less functional than Exponare. Help would be greatly appreciated!!

MI Pro 16.0 - SSA v 12.0.0

See Attachment See Attachment

• 2.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 03-20-2018 02:24

Hi Rebecca,

You might need to generate a thematic that replicates your styling. Unless the Map Uploader has been improved lately, that is the only way of replicating your legend within SSA as far as I can tell.

• 3.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 03-20-2018 17:50

That's what I'm afraid of. There's a points, lines and region file for each of our asset types (so sewer, water, roads, parks etc.). It's a LOT of writing down a style and then creating thematic maps with the same styles

• 4.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Employee
    Posted 03-21-2018 02:57

Rebecca, I assume a tool that could create a thematic based on the current style and a selected column in your dataset could be helpful here. Not that I have such one at hand but this sounds like a situation other users might run into as well.

The basic idea is that you select a layer and a column from this layer, and the tool would now create a theme using the values from the selected column and the style from the first object with this value. This would work best for layers where you don't have mixed object types.

Currently, Spectrum Spatial Analyst really "prefers" layers with either a global override or a theme. That results in the best looking legend in Analyst.

• 5.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 03-21-2018 15:58
      |   view attached

Hi Rebecca, I second what @Peter Horsbøll Møller? mentions re themes and overrides.

Themes work well for us. See Attachment

?

• 6.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 03-22-2018 18:00

Hello

Yes my thematic legends work fine, it's just the fluffing around on so many layers that is daunting!

I'm currently adding a new column to another couple of tables because even if you do a thematic map, if the legend isn't directly from a column (i.e. if the column is a value and you manually type in a unit after it) then the additional text does not come through on the spectrum legend. I believe it does work if you label with an expression though so if you have the right data in the right columns that is a good work around.

For now I think I'm stuck with doing it the long way but both issues are really things I would like to see corrected.

I'm also going to have a look and see if we can script something up.

Many thanks for the help!

• 7.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Employee
    Posted 08-13-2018 05:34

Hi Rebecca,

The latest version of WindowHelper has a feature that might help you converting your table based styles to a thematic layer. This feature is called Static Theme and can be located next to the Add Theme control on the MAP tab.

Click on the Static Theme control and select the column with the categories matching your styles.

The tool will now create a thematic for the layer based on the values in the selected column and the table based styles.

Get WindowHelper 3.5 here: http://communitydownloads.pbinsight.com/code-exchange/download/windowhelper-3.0-x64

• 8.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Employee
    Posted 03-18-2022 09:31
    These days the WindowHelper tool can be found in and installed from the MapInfo Marketplace

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 9.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 08-30-2018 20:41

Finally got around to testing this one, and it is perfect! Thank you very much for the help!

• 10.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Employee
    Posted 08-31-2018 02:06

Glad to hear it helped you, Rebecca

• 11.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 02-08-2019 07:27

Hi!

We are having the same problem.
    What to do with that StaticTheme next after we generated it? How do we get the legend to SSA?

Warmly

Maris Taul
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 12.  RE: Does anyone have a good work around for custom legends in Spectrum?

Posted 02-08-2019 09:51
    ​My understanding of the "static theme" is that it just creates a standard MapInfo Pro individual value theme but instead of using a template for styles, it reads the styles already embedded in the .tab file data.  I am not sure what it does with the case where records having the exact same attribute have different styles. Peter can probably tell us or I can try it and see. 

However, this just means that once done it is just a theme and the map uploader will push those style and text settings to the server.  Hopefully it is saved as the default theme so you don't need a workspace to get it back in the future.
    Note that in version 18.2, we have made it much simpler to use custom image symbols. If you are using them, there is a server side configuration for where these symbol files should live. 
    Unlike the older versions, you do not have to bundle the images into a .jar file, you do not need to deploy that jar file in the Spectrum Spatial code folder and you do not need to restart Spectrum to have them picked up.
    Font based symbols will just work if using the set installed by MapInfo Pro or you can add them to the server system as fonts just like you would on the desktop.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY