Data Points

View Only

How to get up-and-running quickly with the World Premium POI Product

• 1.  How to get up-and-running quickly with the World Premium POI Product

Posted 12-04-2019 13:58

Do you want to quickly get value from your World Premium Points of Interest product?  If you're new to the product, the product can be challenging due to the data size (over 27 Million POIs for the United States for example) and each record contains 70 attribute fields.

A good place to start is always the Product Guide for the product – it explains the breadth of the product's features and if you are very strong technically its really all you need.  But a better way to hit the ground running if you are new to the product is to use a lesser-known document called the Getting Started Guide.  This guide gives hints and tips to get up and running, and importantly gives you sample scripts to simplify your data import and spatialization.  The guide covers a wide variety of formats, including loading data into RDMS Databases (Oracle, PostgreSQL or SQL Server) loading data into a GIS system like MapInfo Pro, or transforming the data into other formats. 

I followed the steps in the Getting Started Guide today, successfully loaded the entire USA POI data I needed into MapInfo and accomplished my data analysis with little trouble.

------------------------------
    Tom Gilligan
    Pitney Bowes Software, Inc.
    White River Junction, VT, USA
    ------------------------------