UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo over VPN??

Posted 09-30-2020 06:43
    So it seems that most people are working from home these days??
    How are you getting on with using MapInfo from home?
    Without any scientific polls - it does look like a lot of folk are using MapInfo over a VPN. And with so many people accessing apps and data over the VPN, they seem to be stretching networks to the limit and performance is not great.
    Would anyone like to share any great tips for better performance over VPNs?
    Stay safe.

------------------------------
    John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 2.  RE: MapInfo over VPN??

Posted 10-01-2020 11:30
    Hi John

Here at Liverpool I have been able to work remotely for quite some years.

Yes in the early days, of dialup Internet that was, bandwith was an issue so I used to travel with a laptop with MiPro and data installed and only move relatively lightweight data files over the link.

As time moved on I was able to hit a Remote Working webpage (Desktop) with the usual Microsoft Office Pack suspects provided by Server. To run MiPro I would 'RDP' onto my office desktop so only key presses / mouse cursor coordinates and screen images were being sent over the Internet.

Over the very recent past I have been trialing Virtual Desktop Initiative (VDI). Remote Users connect via VMware's Horizon Client and are provided with an 'Application Stack' relevant to their area of work run on a server. We have a slight trip up in that MiPro has started to return a Licensing violation, as I expected it would, but I am hoping some work with ICT colleagues will resolve that. Again only relatively lightweight traffic over the Internet and the VMware Horizon Client even makes use of your locally plugged in webcam & sound equipment when running video conferencing on the remote VDI Machine.

Brian G

Brian Garner
    Liverpool City Council
    Liverpool

• 3.  RE: MapInfo over VPN??

Posted 10-02-2020 08:03
    Thanks for the feedback Brian.
    What was the licensing violation error message?
    Was it a -76 message?

John Ievers
    CDR Group

• 4.  RE: MapInfo over VPN??

Posted 10-14-2020 05:49
      |   view attached
    Hi John

Just back in the Saddle after a week of Cornish Pastying followed by a meander over the Clifton Suspension Bridge and visit to SS Great Britain.

No mention of 76 just a basic violation as per the attached PDF.

Our ICT are 'Packaging' applications and then using AppV & AppSense delivered over a cluster of Virtual Servers so this is not unexpected. At the moment I don't even have MiPro in my Application Stack. They appear to have given me those intended for Building Control, including BluBeam Revu and Civica Web Pay.

As I have some 200 unread emails in my Inbox this may have to wait for a short while.....

Brian G

Brian Garner
    Liverpool City Council
    Liverpool

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: MapInfo over VPN??

Posted 10-14-2020 07:28
    Hi Brian
    That message isn't too helpful but usually indicates no connection to the Licence Server in the US - either a firewall is blocking communications, the server is down or a timeout.
    However, you also mentioned deployment over a virtual environment. The MapInfo Licence is registered against a hardware ID and you don't have one in this environment - therefore it will fail.
    Solution: you need to change your licensing to be delivered via a local Licence Server Utility, as with concurrent licensing, and you will need to change the licence and get a new Serial No and Access Code.

John Ievers
    CDR Group