UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  OS Highways

Posted 07-31-2017 11:41

Is anyone getting to grips with the new OS Highways dataset? It has been available to PSMA members for a year now and will replace the ITN dataset by 2019. At the moment, both are available and share the same geometry. The Department for Transport has funded this new dataset to incorporate the most complete, detailed and accurate navigable road network dataset for Great Britain.

There are three "flavours" of OS Highways: 1. Roads, 2. Roads and Routing and Asset Management, and 3. Paths. Like ITN, the data is supplied as relationship tables but there is a lot, lot more of it. Rather than supplying "chunks" of data (or tiles), the data is available by Govt region or whole country.

OS have made available a FME Workbench to aid translation from the GML files - if you have FME software. Otherwise, Routeware have produced a translator to produce the data in a format suitable for use with RouteFinder and routing purposes. BY Design are next with producing a translator to MapInfo format tables.

• 2.  RE: OS Highways

Posted 09-27-2018 08:41

As PB supplied me with the ITN-Routeware converter under my Routefinder Pro license I have emailed PB Client services (three times) to try and get a copy of the Highways-Routeware converter, as yet haven't even had the courtesy of a reply. I can see it's on the Routeware site but don't really think I ought to have to buy it separately.

• 3.  RE: OS Highways

Posted 09-27-2018 11:34

Hi Mike

It is a €300 cost. I know it took a lot of development, as OS Highways is quite a different beast to ITN - not a simple upgrade. The Routeware translator will take Roads (and Paths if needed) and configure the data for the purpose of routing with RouteFinder. A lot of data is dropped but you still get road name and number, of course.

• 4.  RE: OS Highways

Posted 10-02-2018 04:25

Thanks for your time John, that's useful to know.