MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo Point symbols

Posted 03-23-2022 17:34
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find a complete list of Mapinfo symbol styles with the number and description.
    I use FME quite a bit to manipulate maps and I like to style them with the mapinfo styles before running the FME process. This involves a lot of to and fro from Mapinfo to FME and back again. It wold be good just to have a list of them so the right ones can be picked.

I remember seeing one years ago but I can for the life of me remember where I saw it, and I can't seem to find it again.
    Much appreciate any possible assistance, Thanks.

------------------------------
    Russell Ferguson
    Ararat Rural City Council
    Ararat VIC

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo Point symbols

Employee
    Posted 03-24-2022 02:01
    Hi Russell,
    I also can't remember where I've seen this sort of list before.
    I'm assuming you mean - Small bitmap image / Symbol code and set / Description
    Symbol (33,0,72,"MapInfo Points of Interest",256,0) / Airport for a font symbol orSymbol (33, 0, 72) / Diamond for a MapInfo 3.0 symbol.

If you search for "symbol codes" in the MapBasic help it should come up with a link to "The MAPBASIC.DEF File". Or if that isn't what you need, the MapBasic help also has "MapInfo 3.0 Symbols" showing the symbols and their corresponding number. I couldn't find a Font symbols list.

I also found a link to the Spectrum Spatial Guide with a list of "MapBasic Font Symbol Codes"   [Google Search "mapinfo symbols and codes"]  https://docs.precisely.com/docs/sftw/spectrum/12.2.1/en/webhelp/Spatial/index.html#Spatial/source/Development/styles/symbolcodes/symbolcodes_font.html that shows the Set names (Arrows, Cartographic, etc) and Symbol codes.

The latest FME MapInfoStyler transformer also shows all the symbol style options so you might want to have a look at that. And if you have a TAB file with an example of each style (or the ones you use most), you can read in and expose the mapinfo parameters via the Format Attributes tab of the Reader (such as mapinfo_symbol_font, _shape, _size, _style, etc).

Hope that helps, and I'm sure the brains trust will add some further information.

Jack

John Fifoot
    Precisely Software Pty Ltd
    North Sydney NSW

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo Point symbols

Employee
    Posted 03-24-2022 08:32
    Compile and run the ICONDEMO tool provided with MapBasic download, or the SymbolMap tool.
    These will show you the symbol and it's corrsponding define number.  The ICONDEMO will also provide the Define name if you need it.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com