MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapbox WMTS

Posted 03-10-2022 19:31
    Community, I have an issue that is driving me crazy and would love some assistance.

On my machine that runs MapInfo Pro v21 I am able to open a tileserver file that references a customised Mapbox style through WMTS. It works perfectly well, so that means that I have managed to properly format the .tab file and the associated .xml file. The xml file contains the web reference to the Mapbox tiles, and the token is clearly configured properly because I am able to see the resulting map.

I have a colleague who also runs v21 and is able to open the Mapbox tileserver just like me.

However, other colleagues who run either v19 or v21 versions of MIPro are not able to open the Mapbox tileserver. If they do, they get the error message that they are not able to open the XXXX.tab file. I have no idea why. I have played with options in the Web Services Preferences panel. I have even included the Mapbox server within the list of WMTS serves even though I am sure that this is not needed. I just can't seem to configure their machines to be able to open a Mapbox tileserver.

What else can I try?

------------------------------
    Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra VIC

• 2.  RE: Mapbox WMTS

Employee
    Posted 03-11-2022 03:23
    Hi Matthew

Did you create the TAB and XML file manually or did you go through the Open WMTS Table dialog, add the service URL as a new service, and created the WMTS table through these user interfaces?

What happens if one of the other users creates another WMTS table through the Open WMTS Table user dialog?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Mapbox WMTS

Posted 03-15-2022 00:38
    Peter

It doesn't matter which way I do it. If I try to open a new table through the Open WMTS process, I immediately get an error message saying "The following error was issued while attempting to access the server: Unable to retrieve capabilities from the wmts server" then it gives the wmts address.

If I get past this point and try to check/change the wmts details there is no effect when clicking on the 'test url' or 'Get description' buttons. Cear;y there is no connection through to the wmts server.

The key issue I have is that some of my users are able to open the wmts table, but others can't and receive the errors I am discussing.Why would there be this difference?

Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra VIC

• 4.  RE: Mapbox WMTS

Employee
    Posted 03-15-2022 02:31
    Hi Matthew

Yeah, that's also what wonders me that some users can access the service and others can't.

Is there any sort of limitation set from the vendor side, from MapBox? For instance, can it only be accessed by x number of users or from a given IP address?

It seems we are at a point where you need to reach out to our support team, support@precisely.com. They probably would like to have the URL you are using too.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: Mapbox WMTS

Posted 03-15-2022 05:39
    Matthew,

Do any of your users access MapInfo via some sort of virtual environment? I have a client who has users that can access MapInfo either locally or from a virtual desktop.  They can't access any WMTS data when using the virtual instance but can, often via the same workspace, when they use their local install of Pro.  I'm guessing its a firewall, whitelisting, proxy(?) issue.

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 6.  RE: Mapbox WMTS

Posted 03-16-2022 17:50
    Nick,
    We do have users that sometimes access their machines remotely, but that wouldn't be an issue and it makes no differences when they sit locally at their office desks anyway. I think that you could be onto something with a network-based issue to the wmts website. I'm pretty sure it isn't a proxy issue because all our machines are set up the same. I will have to talk to our IT people about possible whitelisting issue etc. Maybe I can get users to simply try to access a website using the MapBox wmts definition and see what happens ...? If that doesn't work I will have to go tp MI support as Peter suggested.

Thanks

Matt

Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra VIC