NZ Spatial Users

View Only
  • 1.  www.kahurumanu.co.nz

Posted 01-11-2018 23:00

One of my absolute favourite aspects of mapping and geology is the mythology associated with how the world was formed. One place that really stands out for me is the Giant's Causeway in Ireland, where legend claimed that a giant, Finn MacCool, built a causeway so he could fight with a Scottish giant, Benandonner.

Of course, the basalt columns were really created by volcanic eruption but sometimes legend is more fun!

I love collecting stories about places I travel and New Zealand is no different. I always loved the M?ori myths and legends growing up, especially the story of my beloved Mt Taranaki fighting to keep his beloved Pihanga (he was not defeated, he was just saving his baby from the wrath of those mean Central North Island mountains!).

I recently became aware of K? Huru Manu, an online atlas created by Ng?i Tahu which shows 5500 places including rivers, mountains, lakes, pa and trails. By clicking on a location, the user can view stories about the location. I'm really excited about this and I am thinking that it might be a fun way to explore when I am next in the South Island with my family!

Have a look a the atlas here:

http://www.kahurumanu.co.nz/atlas