MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Working on Mapinfo on different computers

Posted 02-21-2023 00:34

How do you recommend working with tables when you have multiple computers/users in your office? I have tables stored on dropbox (local, not cloud) and have found that working on them in in the dropbox folder is very unstable; the program locks up/freezes alot. I have been saving my table on the hard drive, doing my work, then saving a copy back on dropbox when I finish but this is a pain and major hassle; and it still freezes just not as often. I go from home to office computer and this is not fun. What works for others? Version 15.0.3 32 bit

------------------------------
    Mary Wilks
    CAROLINA PRECISION CONSULTING
    Rocky Mount NC

• 2.  RE: Working on Mapinfo on different computers

Employee
    Posted 02-21-2023 02:18

Hi Mary

I have found the exact same pains that you mention. It seems Dropbox locks a file when it changes, preventing MapInfo Pro from accessing it. I have run into these issues when creating new tables and editing existing tables.

as I don't need to share my tables with Dropbox, I have just moved them out of Dropbox. I know that isn't a solution for you.

Have you tried pausing the Dropbox sync while working in MapInfo Pro?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Working on Mapinfo on different computers

Posted 02-21-2023 23:39

Peter can the tables be stored in onedrive? I would like a way to backup my work and be able to access it on multiple machines. Dropbox i think is really the problem. Greg at tech support told me today maybe putting my tables in sql server would help but i have no idea how that works. Would be a very big learning curve I think. I will try the new version and see if it works better. Thank you

Mary Wilks
    CAROLINA PRECISION CONSULTING
    Rocky Mount NC

• 4.  RE: Working on Mapinfo on different computers

Posted 02-22-2023 03:57

Hi Mary

MapInfo can access data from OneDrive but that would require that the data gets synced to your local computer.

Good as a backup store but not as a work area.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Working on Mapinfo on different computers

Posted 02-22-2023 03:32

I work from home a lot so connect remotely to my work PC. Ten years ago I used to have a local copy of MI and the various base maps and layers - and made sure I kept the versions synchronised, but Remote Desktop connections are much better and easier to set up than they were then, so this set up works well for me now. 

Steve Oram
    Biodiversity Officer
    PTES
    London