Automate

View Only
  • 1.  Reserving material numbers

Posted 04-27-2023 09:23

Hello
    We have external number assignment for our trade goods. Every productmanager can initiate a process for a new material. In my form they have to insert the material number they would like to have. But it could be that at the end of the process when creating the material in SAP the number is no longer available.
    In SAP it is not possible to book/reserve a material number without creating the material. 

I would like to do this in Evolve.
    Perhaps like this:
    in perhaps reference data or another list I insert all possible numbers (par ex. 20). In the form user choose a number. While choose the number, it reserve it and the next who open the list of all possible numbers there is only 19 left.

Is this a possiblity to do in Evolve?

Thanks for your ideas.

Jana

------------------------------
    Jana Kuschmierz
    Rigips AG

• 2.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Employee
    Posted 04-27-2023 13:07

Hi Jana, 
    You can create a database table in any of your sql databases.
    and can use to fetch the values and delete the used value from the table.
    ----------------------
    for example :
    use below command to create the table : 
    create table MaterialNumbers
    (
    Mnum int
    )
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(1)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(2)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(3)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(4)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(5)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(6)
    insert into MaterialNumbers values(7)
    select * from MaterialNumbers
    * once table is created make a data connection to this table from the form solution.
    * use these values in a dropdown for users to select.
    * Configure a query control(run at end) to delete the selected number from the table.(shown in screenshot below).

* You can maintain the values stored in the database table according to your preference.

Hope this helps.

Regards 

Hammad Naeem
    Precisely Software Inc.

• 3.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Posted 05-30-2023 12:08

Hello Hammad
    please could you explain to me what exactly do you mean with database table? Until now I have just create solutions in the reference data to use these reference data lists as dataconnection in the solution.
    Is this also workable with reference data lists?
    Many thanks.
    Jana

Jana Kuschmierz
    Rigips AG

• 4.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Employee
    Posted 04-28-2023 16:43

Reserving numbers tends to get tricky if you consider what should happen if the workflow is cancelled?
    Do you purge that number or do you need a way to put it back in the queue?
    Also, if SAP allows material creations behind the scenes via the GUI as well, then you may be competing for the same numbers anyway. 
    Just a few things to consider :)

Jayasri Varyani
    Winshuttle North America

• 5.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Employee
    Posted 05-30-2023 20:07

Hi Jana
    There's a BAPI: BAPI_MATERIAL_GETINTNUMBER that will generate between 1-255 material numbers.  Pass in material type, industry and the # of material numbers you want generated.  It works great with the BAPI to create materials, but also works with MM Transaction scripts, too.
    FYI,
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    Precisely Software Inc.

• 6.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Posted 05-31-2023 02:40

Thanks for your input. But we do not want to generate them before we will use them definitly. Furthermore we try to use these in our different ranges in a way that speaks to them.
    And the number should be eliminated from the list of possible numbers when one productmanager have choose them in his process. So it should be not possible that 2 productmanagers use the same number in their process of creating a new material.

The proposal of Hammad is exactly this what we want but I do not now exactly what he mean with database table.

Best regards
    Jana

Jana Kuschmierz
    Rigips AG

• 7.  RE: Reserving material numbers

Employee
    Posted 05-31-2023 08:38

Hi jana,
    For this requirement you can ask your database administrator to create a database in your SQL server using SQL Manager then create table according to your preference, you can use this SQL table to make a dataconnection and reserve the material number.
    you can use the command mentioned above to create the sql table.
    since, the problem is quite complex i would recommend you to raise a support ticket referencing this community discussion. we can get on call on the support ticket to further assist you.

Regards
    Hammad Naeem

Hammad Naeem
    Precisely Software Inc.